Update - New Whisper Automatic Transcription, Deepl integration and more

I believe it was only changed for new members. Not sure if they’ve published charts yet.

1 Like

The Wisper transcription looks really cool. Is it possible to add this as an option when importing youtube videos ? It does download the audio to lingq as well. Because many videos only have the automatic subtiles and they have no dots or anything which is really annoying in lingq.
But the changes are great overall.

1 Like

That would be cool for sure. In the meantime, you can use one of the online youtube to mp3 converters and just upload that as a new lesson.

1 Like

It might be cool to have an option of your preferred translator…deepl or google.

1 Like

Definitely, to have a choice is always better, very often when I tried DeepL it wasn’t so good compared to Google, but it’s subjective or depends on the sentences.

1 Like

Some languages changed and others didn’t so if you don’t notice any difference, nothing changed for you.

1 Like

That’s something we can look at but we aren’t going to enable the audio creation again. That is against YT’s terms of service.

1 Like

We can return GT for Malay. We are also looking at providing the ability to check multiple dictionaries. As sometimes it’s good to see a few versions.

1 Like

Serbian should be supported. If you continue to have the issue, just report it to support@lingq.com.

1 Like

Yes, that would be great Mark. Deepl works very well with European languages, but it’s more hit and miss with Asian languages like Korean.

1 Like

@LuckieNoob Honestly, I don’t know why YouTube haven’t updated their own ‘auto-subtitles’ software themself with Whisper or a better transcription software. Maybe they have, but it’s only for new videos. I don’t know.

1 Like

I feel like for single words they are both quite unreliable. But for sentences or phrases deepl is often more accurate

1 Like

@nfera: I believe transcripts are better on YT now, compared to before. Just a feeling though. Google will use its own software to do that.

1 Like

It’s been like this for hours. And that’s only for a 3-minute audio file.
I guess something is off here.

1 Like

What is the setting for the transliteration? Is this moderate or high accuracy? (I know on Whisper you can adjust this, high accuracy has much less mistakes in Chinese, but takes longer)

1 Like

interesting. Deepl is much better for Japanese.

1 Like

This here. Google Translate seems better for individual words and phrases. It translates more literally. DeepL is great for sentences and beyond, it can bring out nuances that Google won’t - but that often means on the level of single words and short phrases, it’s “too clever by half”, so to speak.

1 Like

@fabbol: yes, I get very weird translations from DeepL as well, especially in short phrases. I prefer literal translations because at least I can guess in the middle, and I just use it as a backup tool.

1 Like

High accuracy

1 Like

Please do! :smiley:

1 Like