Upcoming Languages in LingQ?

I love LingQ, I’ve always been a very input-oriented language learner, and it’s so wonderful to have a system based around the input method. I’ve noticed that few websites or programs focus on input, and although to start a language any material works fine I find myself getting bored with the other methods very quickly and become frustrated with the learning process.

My problem is that other than German the other languages I’d love to learn most are Icelandic and Finnish, which are not offered on LingQ. I’m interested in learning Russian and Swedish down the road, but preferably after Icelandic and Finnish.

Is there any possibility that these languages will be offered on LingQ in the future? Just curious as I’m not sure what LingQ’s goals are on how many languages it wishes to offer.

My apologies if such question has been addressed already, but I’m new here. :slight_smile:

Hi Andrew. Nice to meet you.

My native language is Russian.
When you will be ready to start up learn Russian, I can help you.

Hi Andrew,

We’ve talked in the recent past about adding an interface that supports beta languages, which would allow people to study any language they like regardless of whether or not it is officially supported. While we won’t begin work on this immediately, it is definitely something we would like to do in the near future.

@Stariy: Nice to meet you too! :slight_smile: I’ll add you as a friend and keep you in mind when I begin learning Russian, until LingQ allows for the others (and considering Russian is offered at the Uni I’ll be intending after finishing up the first part of my degree) I may just end up starting on Russian. Thank you!

@Alex: Excellent. Thank you very much for the info! I’m glad to hear that you’ve been discussing it, and no matter how long it takes for it to officially be offered I’m happy to hear it is at least in the works. :slight_smile:

Alex,
great news!!!

Alex

The above was three years ago and still the pipeline of new languages is either non-existent or invisible. I’m not clear why putting up Beta languages is so slow. Isn’t it just a question of allowing characters to be recognised by the html…? What am I missing?

@pmda - Since my post above we’ve added nearly a dozen beta languages, but have found that they haven’t become as active as we had originally hoped. We are looking at different way to deal with new languages and hope to release something here soon.

Alex but my question is also technical. What actually stops you from adding a language - technically? I mean surely it’s just a question of character sets. Couldn’t you allow beta languages, say Icelandic or Anglosaxon or Ancient Greek by simply allowing those characters (1990s web technology surely?) and letting the community of users just get on with it. Why do ‘you’ have to ‘support’ any given language at all…?

1 Like

@ pmda

I guess…

1. It probably takes some effort to set up the dictionaries and other funtionalities.
  2. There has to be significant demand.
  3. Content/ lessons in that L have to be produced or authorized to be used by the producer (copyright holder).

The way to get your desired L on here seems to be to
spread the word about the site,
find learners interested in the same L,
make lots of native friend and inspire at least some of them to help find and produce resources.

Then lingq will probably recognize sufficient demand and follow with the supply.

ps I think I saw people using unused slots to import scavanged articles in their unrepresented L.
for ex. using the Korean slot to import Icelandic

I don’t think Anglosaxon and Ancient Greek are going to happen soon unless a university professor enthusiastic enough to intone the ancient literature can be found. Prof Arguelles?

@muerte Thanks.

1. I agree it probably does cause issues but I don’t think the dictionary functionalities are either that important or that difficult. If they can’t be done most people wouldn’t care that much, would they? Also adding a language would surely be just a question of copying the functionality templates…?

2. On demand…it depends upon the work involved. If it’s as little as I suspect then what’s the problem? I tried to load an old English text into the English language section and the text extends off the screen. This is bizarre. I can think of no technical reason why different languages are not very easy…

3. however I don’t think is an issue. 100% of Anglo Saxon or ancient Greek content is open source (pretty much) and has no copyright.

Paul

I agree that technical costs, functionality and copyright issues aren’t the impediments.

Lack of substantial demand is. LingQ is a business that’s ultimately looking to attract paying customers. I understand them completely if they only lift a finger when 300 very eager learners call for Anglosaxon now.

As things are the return on investment for setting up Anglosaxon is most likely negative.

For that we can’t blame them.

1 Like

@pmda - It doesn’t necessarily take a full day to add a language, but time spent on this is time taken away from other things on the site, and we have to always be aware of where we are spending our development resources.

The main reason we’re looking at redoing the way we handle beta languages is that up until now very few of these languages have gathered much interest, and none of them are currently where we had hoped they would be after a couple of years on the site. If we spread ourselves too thin with too many languages, all of them end up suffering. Instead, if we can focus our efforts on a smaller subset and ensure new languages that are added meet a certain criteria then we will be more successful in providing a quality language learning solution to learners of these additional languages. We’re working on a new way to add languages and will send out an announcement when things are ready.