Unknown words are marked as known words

While researching an article on the site, I accidentally opened the next page of the article and all the words were marked as known. But the thing is, I don’t know them. How can I find these words and return to the original state? Thank you in advance for your help.
p.s. they are not in the dictionary.

1 Like

Yes, paging lessons automatically moves all remaining blue words on that page to known. We assume you have created LingQs for all unknown words before paging.

Automatic removal of blue words can be turned off in the Settings for the Reader. The “Move words to known” option is the one to turn off. However, this just means that when you click the complete Lesson option on the last page, all your blue words for the whole lesson will be moved to known. There is no reason to keep blue words. The idea is that you either need to learn them or they are known (or you can ignore words).

Having said that, you can click on all white words to make them blue again and create LingQs for them. So, if you are reading, and come across a word you incorrectly marked as known or ignored, just click on it to make it blue.

Finally, you can reset your language in your Language Settings - Login - LingQ

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1 Like

@zoran
I would have a question about that. Previously (I think it was before the last update), the system was giving me a warning that all blue words would be moved to known, and now it just moves them to known without asking.
Is there a setting that I can change to give me that warning again?
It prevented me from accidentally moving words to a known state quite a few times.

1 Like

question about clicking on known words to make them unknown, i.e. blue - this doesn’t actually work - clicking a word won’t make it blue. How can i reset a word to unkown?

1 Like

@shred686 Click on the word, and if necessary, extend the box further until you see a series of circles across the bottom - a trashcan, 1, 2, 3, 4, and a checkmark. If it’s currently marked “known”, the checkmark will be selected. Click on the “1” to mark it as unknown/new instead.

1 Like

Perhaps in my case it would be easier to reset all my language progress since I haven’t gotten very far, thanks.

1 Like

@shred686 It won’t switch the word to blue permanently, but once you select a white (known) word, you will get a blue popup and you can take an action and make a LingQ (yellow word) out of that word if you don’t know it.

1 Like

I do sometimes wish there was an “Undo most recent action” function, or something like that on LingQ. I, too, have sometimes swiped or clicked wrong and ended up turning an entire page white.

That said, the solution (if you don’t turn off “Paging moves to known”) is simply to read through the text and click the words you don’t understand. It’s less convenient than having the unknown words highlighted, but it’s only for the one page.

3 Likes

I have tried to invoke this behavior (“just click”) both on my desktop/browser… and also on the ipad app, but it’s not working. Too bad, this would be great if worked. :frowning_face:

1 Like

I think you are misinterpreting the advice. By clicking on the word, you are able to save a definition: the word ends up yellow (a “LingQ”). It is blue while you decide on a definition to save, then turns yellow afterwards. There is no way (apart from “hacking” the LingQ software: Solution: Known Word -> New Word ) to turn it permanently blue again, AFAIK.

1 Like

Thanks for clarification, fabbol.

1 Like