Unknown words and reading choices

I choose by interest first, and availability of audio second. I’ve been generally reading at about 20% unknown for the past 12 months, but I think it is dependent on your level (and how you count unknown). If you dive into native content at an early stage, then 30-40% (or higher) is what you will be hit with. I’d be happy if I could just search by “date shared” and not have the result be completely … :slight_smile:

How do you copy material across from your Kindle? When i open a Dutch book on my Kindle, I can highlight a passage but don’t seem to be able to export it!

Sadly you can’t copy text out of Amazon’s proprietary ebook format. You need to get your hands on an epub or mobi version of the text.

Ah! I have read your entry more carefully. I see that you talk about books that are on your kindle - not that you copied them from your kindle. Sorry! Now to try to find some suitable texts for my not-at-all advanced Dutch!

It can be done but just for short texts. If you highlight a paragraph you can search for it on the internet then copy the paragraph from the search box. It isn’t great, and a little round about, but it works. If you’ve bought a book you would be amazed at what can be found in ePub format or even straight text.

Unfortunately the choices seem to be much more limited in Dutch. I have been struggling to find much. I guess I’m going to have to go back to Wikipedia or news items.

I would really like teen books as they have simple story lines and a lot of dialogue - but it looks as if I’m going to have to stick with a paper format - and not LingQ them. My loss!

That’s frustrating. It is one of the huge advantages of learning a language like English or Spanish that there is a lot more stuff available (I’m just about to embark on learning some Kichwa which is going to be the other extreme!). One option is to do what I used to do a bit in Spanish and what I call “read around” or something like that. Find a book or an audio you want to really get to know, and then import related material (mostly wikipedia articles, reviews, blogs, whatever) into LingQ. This should “prime” your mind with some of the vocabulary that you are going to encounter with the paper text and make it a little bit easier. Good luck!

Good luck finding suitable texts, take in to account Steve’s very good point that with LingQ you can tackle more challenging material.

Although I read academic and news articles directly through LingQ I don’t like reading whole chapters of books in LingQ, so I’ve developed this technique that I quite like. I import a chapter. Go once through examining all the blue words and changing them to Known or to LingQs. Then I go through a second time examining all the LingQs and if necessary changing their status as they become more familiar. Then I’m ready to go offline, sit back in my chair, and read the chapter, with the new vocabulary fresh in mind. Sometimes I reserve this process and read the chapter first and then LingQ, especially if I want to avoid spoilers!!

I’ve come to hate flashcards with a passion, so this is my own personal way of reviewing vocabulary, using LingQ.

Good idea!