Uncommon Languages

There are about 1 speaker of Faroese to every 6 speakers of Icelandic. in usage and popularity in literature and media, the difference in those aspects is much, much greater than this 1/6 ratio of speakers.

So, being born Faroese, made it a part of my identity and conscious, to be a speaker of a uncommon language.
What it does is make you humble, Which is a very good thing, when teaching and learning languages, and getting acquainted with new cultures and integration. Arrogance, is completely useless and damaging, in any sense concerning language.
The bad thing in Faroese, and i see it in other languages also, are some language politics and unrealistic purism sett standards.

As Faroese, being bilingual is a necessity, you can’t go without. Danish, Faroese, English is the expected multilingualism of the inhabitants here. conditions for polyglotery are quite favorable. many are thought German in schools, and French and Spanish in colleges, picking up the other Scandinavian languages is extremely easy, Icelandic is possible as well, because of its similarity to Faroese.

Sadly, there quite few who use these advantages they are given by being Faroese, to learn languages.

Could you translate what you said in Faroese, Klettur? I could tell, knowing a small bit of Icelandic, that it was similar, but didn’t quite understand it all.

Ger so væl. :slight_smile:

I am one of these silent forum lurkers, LiamT mentions, yet I maybe not all that quiet.

Aha… fitting :wink: