Uncertain words

What do people do when they click through an online dictionary, but find no entry, and remain unsure of the gloss? Do you try to change the word back to blue?

I would do a quick search on google. If that didn’t give any clues, I would make a blank lingq and move on.

2 Likes

Almost always google or deepl will have some sort of definition (although maybe with Latin it tends to be more difficult compared to other languages??). Google search as wnint suggests may be good too. I’ve found slang words that weren’t in any dictionary that way from message boards. Sometimes it may help to highlight the phrase and get the meaning of that phrase. I think sometimes it tends to work even if there isn’t a meaning for a specific word.

2 Likes

With the blank lingq, wouldn’t you get an empty card in your review deck? And how would you ever know to go back to it for another attempt?

I think he’s saying just leave a blank definition. The word would still be there and you would mark it some level of known…1, 2, 3. So it would be there to review again, or come upon it once again in reading. You could also make the definition be the word itself, so it’s not a blank definition. When you finally get some idea of what it is, you can add the real definition.

You can’t leave a word as blue…unless you don’t finish the lesson. Just leave it as level 1 yellow and move on for now I’d say. It probably isn’t a very common word if there’s no entry in any of the online dictionaries and you may never encounter it again.

What’s the word, btw? Maybe someone knows or could find out. I’m always down for a little detective work myself =D

1 Like

So, actually I’m doing ancient greek, and I don’t have the exact word to hand right now. But I suspect that I’m in a huge minority of people here, lol!

But I like your idea of using the word itself with no definition. I’m thinking perhaps with question marks – that way I could search for it, perhaps?

You could add a specific tag to it if you want to differentiate them from your other lingqs. In the vocabulary section you can use that as a filter.

3 Likes

Haha. Yeah. That might make it more difficult =D

That’s an excellent idea, and I will start with that immediately!

1 Like

Actually, I just tried adding a tag to a word; then I filtered for it on the vocabulary page, and found … nothing!!

Hmm. I tried it in the browser before I made the suggestion and tried it on the beta app now. Tried with blank lingqs just to be sure and both worked. The only thing I can think of is if you have some other condition specified which excludes it from the results.

1 Like

I just tried it again, and there seems to be some kind of bug. I noticed that when I add a tag to a word, the tag just sits there, even if I click on another word. All the rest of the meaning and notes changes, but not the tag. And in vocabulary, when I apply a filter, I get no results. Not sure what I could be doing wrong.

@jamesrothering Are you sure that you have saved the tag properly? After you add a tag, make sure to confirm on “Enter” to save it.

@zoran: You were right! thanks! I didn’t realize that i hadn’t actually created it yet. So what’s the trick for getting the filter to find only this tag? lol! When I apply the filter, I still see every word. I apologize for such newbie questions…