Typo in Japanese LingQ Mini Stories

In mini story “48 - 私 の 両親 は 私 が 大学 に 行く べき だ と 私 に 話しました”, I believe there are several places where “得れば” should be “取れば”.

I have listened to the audio clip multiple times to figure it out that the audio and the text just doesn’t match.

These are the sentences:
Part A:
彼ら は 、 もし 私 が 学位がくい得ればえれば良いよい 仕事 に 就けるつける言いました

Part B:
彼ら は 、 もし あなた が 学位がくい得ればえれば良いよい 仕事 に 就けるつける言いました

質問 Part:
二 : 彼ら は 、 もし 私 が 学位がくい得ればえれば良いよい 仕事 に 就けるつける言いました
(this appears twice, first as question title, then as the answer)

Can anyone confirm my doubt and give it a fix?
Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks, our content team will look into this.

I don’t think it’s a typo. Universities themselves use both verbs, or 取得しゅとくする

Both verbs are common in Japanese, but I think you can make the argument that 取る might be a better fit for an intro course like the mini-stories.

Edit: I misunderstood this post as pointing out 得れば being the wrong word in the sentence, but as jf999 pointed out, the audio is 取れば and the text shows 得れば, so either way there is an error.

I’m definitely hearing「取れば」in that sentence.

1 Like

Ah, sorry all, I just was reading the text. Definitely should match the audio.

1 Like

I hesitated to respond because I think you’re right and it is an error.

However, in JP there exists a practice of replacing a kanji by a similar kanji - that is normally not the one used - simply to emphasize a difference in nuance.

As such, there are many different ways to write toru (撮 or 取 just to give the two examples I’m most familiar with - consider “taking a picture” vs “taking a piece of paper”).

得る (eru) means to obtain. Toru is not one of the established readings. One could say to “take/obtain/receive the degree” having very similar meanings. The verb to use would indeed be toru and not eru in this context. Yet the writer could be stressing “obtain” rather than “take” by using a kanji that has no regular pronounciation of “toru” and insist on a reading of “toru” for 得る to correlate with the expression of “getting your degree”.

It would be strange to use this kanji in a Lingq mini story I think though. That kind of nuance - if the application of this in this text could be considered correct - would be totally lost on anyone new.

Kanji are tricky. in the first instance, they represent concepts and not per se sounds/readings (e.g. Kanji mean mostly the same thing in chinese but are still pronounced differently). You attribute meaning to the kanji but also attribute meaning to sound. You can combine and mix these two (concept of kanji vs concept of sound) to create an extra layer of nuance . Compare the following example in English as we might construct it:

• I got my degree last year.
  • I got (read: obtained through strenuous effort) my degree last year

Although, in the end, I also think it’s a typo :slight_smile:

1 Like