Two observations about the Exchange

Good to hear that, Alex! I from time to time have people contacting me on You Tube and on Facebook to have their Dutch e-mails corrected by me. In Germany 95 % of the school language teachers are non-natives. Here on LingQ the makers of the Esperanto-podcasts are probably non-natives. I am strongly against the arrogant discrimination of all non-native language teachers. By the way at the VHS I have an excellent teacher of Danish and she is - Austrian! :slight_smile:

Generally, I have a positive opinion about the exchange, because my post of an open request enabled me to find my Norwegian tutor! Otherwise I couldn’t have found him.

Fasulye

“I am strongly against the arrogant discrimination of all non-native language teachers.”

Do you feel “arrogantly discriminated” by me, Fasulye?

Yes to non-native teachers ! Just remember that there is a difference between a teacher and a translator, or a voice artist. Questions of style addressed in many writing corrections would require a native speaker aswell.

I am not a language teacher, but I feel more Dutch than German. I have been speaking and writing Dutch on a daily basis for 30 years. My best friends are from the Netherlands. I always wanted to have the Dutch nationality. And yes, such a discussion hurts me personally.

Fasulye

@djvlbass

Exactly! Non-native speakers are generally not as a good as native speakers (there are exceptions), which makes them less qualified for voice acting and translating (once again, there are exceptions) BUT some of them are amazing teachers because they have deliberately learned the language they´re teaching. Let´s try a soccer-analogy…

Some legendary soccer players started working as a trainer after their career as player, but even though they were once world class soccer players, some of them were mediocre trainers.
Then again, there are coaches who didn´t have a big career as players, but they´re amazing coaches.

(edit: I don´t know if that analogy makes sense, but it´s always nice to act like I know stuff about soccer, anyway^^)

@Fasulye

I´m sorry for that.

I think it´s important that people state their honest opinion, and yes, that might offend somebody…but I still think that it´d be even worse if people wouldn´t be honest because some people might be offended.

However, if it hurts you, I´ll at least remember to not mention your name in a discussion like that.

Deal? :slight_smile:

Speaking of Dutch, I’ve always wanted to visit Amsterdam: not so much for the language as…well…y’know…

Cool man. Very cool. :smiley:

I think they´ve stopped selling “Sportzigaretten” to tourists, but I´m not 100% sure. ^^

@Jay
Why not go to Seattle? You will have to put up with hipsters though.

500 posts here I come

From my point of view the exchange is basically correct, although perhaps a few changes could be made. I know that open requests may not be the best option for all, but it’s a very interesting experience. Most of the time I choose “open requests” when I make a request, because the feedback I receive is very interesting and useful for me, and because this is for me a community and I like to comment the questions with different people. In return I always answer all the open requests in Spanish that I find, regardless if I get more or less points, or even none. Of course I prefer my requests to be fulfilled by native speakers, but it doesn’t bother me if non native speakers do. When I want a quick and accurate answer I just choose a private request. Regarding points, I think that you must have the option to increase o reduce the amount of points, and everyone is free to answer or not. Sometimes I increase the points if I consider that the task I’m asking for is very time-consuming. If someone has few points and makes an open request I don’t mind to answer it either. Furthermore, what I miss is more exchanges. The more exchanges, the more points go from one place to another and the more practice we have.

(I am, of course, referring to the famously fresh and bracing canal-side air on evening strolls…:-D)

@David

Seattle, eh? I thought San Francisco was the place for cool evening strolls. :slight_smile:

@Paule

Yes, I think you’re right - I heard they don’t allow foreigners to enjoy the breeze unless they’ve been living there for six months, or something crazy like that. But if you know the right folks…well…? :wink:

@ Paule

“I´ve seen people on iTalki who claim to be “a C1 in German” even though, in reality, they make mistakes in every sentence they write or read and can hardly understand what I´m saying.”

To be fair, italki defines C1 as ‘upper-intermediate’. There are many different versions of the A1-C2 scale. C2 on a forum like this seems to mean the level of a highly-talented native speaker with a PhD in poetry and a lifetime experience writing best selling novels and advanced technical textbooks, whereas on somewhere like Wikipedia, it is more like an advanced learner.

@ Colin

Yeah, it seems like there no universal, unquestionable, waterproof, 100% scientific, Christophe Clugston seal of approval…definition of what “C1” actually means, you´re right about that.
A B2 on LingQ is a D1(…) on iTalki, I guess.^^

…and a Z20 on fluentin3months.com :smiley:

I remember many months ago when, upon completing the Michel Thomas French audio course and reading a few blog posts by Benny about redefining fluency, I was convinced that I had a decent C1 level. Boy was I wrong!

When it comes to getting corrections, I would always prefer them from a native speaker. There are for sure non-native speakers who are good enough to do the corrections as well as native speakers, but most non native speakers are not at that level. I work in English almost entirely with non native speakers of English in Vienna and a lot of them have been working in English for 40 years or more and they cannot correct English as well as I can. (I hope that doesn’t sound arrogant)

Of course, being a native speaker doesn’t necessarily mean that one is a good corrector. Lots of native speakers also write their own language terribly.

…though personally, I never make mistakes in English. It’s unpossible!

@Colin: “…though personally, I never make mistakes in English. It’s unpossible!..”

Me neither - it’s never bean known! :slight_smile:

…thinking about what I wrote in the last post, I have not actually done any systematic testing of my other colleagues’ abilities to correct English, so I am not completely certain of this.

Is it possible to adjust the points AFTER posting a request now?

If so, where would it be a good place to write, "I will add points if I get more than one corrections” when I post a request ?

I’d like to attract potential correctors by writing this. I have gotten benefits from a variety of corrections :slight_smile:

@Yukiko - After posting your request you can enter a comment on the request page below your original post.