Translation

it would be useful to see a full translation of the text as it often reads differently from just translating words individually. Is it possible on this site??

+1

Maybe a tab after Standard View/ QuickLingQ View/ Tutorial View/** insert Translation View here **. That way we can paste a full translation in.

It isn’t a good idea to use the full translation by the language studying.
You have to overcome the resistance of the foreign language and enjoy it like a challenge that you could manage.
And the full translation like a porridge for babies, it’s a result of the work, but not your results. We never can become proficient in a new language using ready-made full translations.

This functionality exists. If there is a full translation, you can find it in the Lesson Resources above the Getting Started and Tasks and Forum tabs. The point is that few lessons have translations like this. If you look at some of the Beginner lessons like in Who is She, you will see them.

I tend to feel the same way as Evgeny on this. However, there are people who want to see translations. I think we are planning to make it easier to find lessons where translations exist. It is up to the provider whether to provide a translation or not. It is usually only the beginner lessons that have translations. I must say I prefer my own inexact understanding of the target text, rather than a translation. But everyone has their own preferences.

A vocabulary key is often just as useful as a full translation, and much easier for the author to create.

Side benefit 1: Translation is specific to the context of the story: better than Google Translate.

Side benefit 2: Each of the vocab key’s entries could be added as a flashcard (via an icon that the user can simply press).

Side benefit 3: Many entries in the vocab key will most likely be multi-word phrases, which, in my experience, are more useful and memorable when studied as flashcards.

Side benefit 4: Other users on LingQ could contribute by adding a translation of a particular vocab key entry to another language. Doesn’t necessarily have to be all the phrases, just whatever they choose.

@erikspen - Much of what you suggest is actually built right into LingQ in the form of User Hints. Excluding the integrated Google Translate definition, all of the hints that you see in the blue popups are hints that other users have previously saved.

It is indeed very similar. Only difference would be that would have ‘Author Hints’ in addition to ‘User Hints’. But probably not such a big deal.

…my main usage of LingQ was more than a year ago and I hardly ever saw any user hints. So, my oversight, sorry.