Translation request

Sorry, I am now at a complete loss. This seems to have turned to a murder mystery game. Yes, I am learning Russian. Unless you are Cakypa. But why complain that the other guy ( I can’t remember his name) was rude, and then go and be rude to me? Hmm… crazy

"You believe that I am from Syria? " This is the first time I have met you. How am I supposed to know you are not from Syria?

I was rude, because you wrote “to me it doesn’t”. If you are answer to Daniel’s ‘That translation looks good to me’ was different, I would answered other way.
And I am not going to change my mind — asking to translate a song is not appropriate. It is a very difficult task to translate songs (especially songs of modern bands — I am not sure that their authors have a clear idea what their songs about). And it is easier for English natives, who knows Russian to translate this song to English, than to Russian natives.

And it was not that guy who was rude, it was the whole community who did not help. The community of learners of Russian that only take. And here you again want to take and don’t give anything in return. You could try to translate yourself and ask Russian natives to help you to translate it. And after that gave us the final translation. In this case both sides would learn something. But you wanted Russians to rack theirs heads and did not offer anything for that.

PocuHka- You don’t seem to understand what I actually asked for. Again, read my first paragraph, specifically the end "or amend the one in the link. " All they had to do was adapt the English in a slightly better, more readable way whilst still retaining the meaning. That is not something I could do, seen as I am only a beginner. With regards to the “to me it doesn’t” thing, I don’t see that as rude. Daniel said “To me it seems fine” and I merely stated my opinion because I needed help. I don’t think he is offended, and if he is, I will apologise when and if he says so on this thread.

“And it was not that guy who was rude, it was the whole community who did not help”. You are in no way helping me. You gave me the bits I struggled with, but only after fighting. As a tutor, you need to be prepared for people to ask you questions. You need to be patient.

“The community of learners of Russian that only take”. Oh, really? Explain to me where all those points went? The points the learners bought/ earned. Where did they go? Did you not recieve any?

Russian can’t amend the one on hte link!!!
If average Russian will translate this song to English, the result will be identical to that you gave link to. Only English natives can fix this broken English.

All those points!!!
What points? Less than 1000 points a months, when I spent all my spare time for transcribing?
And 20 points for correction of ‘writing’ that took me several hours??? It is ‘points’, really?

Thank you very much for everything.

It was your choice to tutor. You knew how much you were going to get. You never had to be a tutor. There is no reason to complain.

Secondly, I wasn’t specifically asking you or any other Russian. I asked for the English to be improved. That was it! Again, there is no reason to complain about that either!

Have you ever booked conversation with me to judge me as a tutor? Wasn’t it me who had been answered to all your questions since your very first appearance on LingQ?
And now I am not patient?
Where there were questions in this branch, when I answered for the first time? No, there were no questions. There was ‘translate all this song, I don’t understand it’. When questions appeared, I answered.

It was your choice to start to learn Russian. There is no reason to complain that you don’t smart enough to understand it and ask for the translation.

!Wasn’t it me who had been answered to all your questions since your very first appearance on LingQ?" No, wasn’t you. I never said that you weren’t patient and nor am I judging you as a tutor. I am saying that you didn’t have to be one. LingQ isn’t some totalitarian regime which forces people to do everything it wishes. I’ll say it once more, it was your choice.

“There was ‘translate all this song, I don’t understand it’.” Really? I never remember saying that. What I do remember is I asked someone for a better translation, or for someone to improve the original, which I provided.

Oh… she’s gone. Just in case she is reading this, "There is no reason to complain that you don’t smart enough to understand it and ask for the translation. " I’ve been learning for 2 months. There is no way you can expect me to understand a lot.

And I wasn’t complaining… I was asking, politely in my opinion .

There seems to be lot of tension in the air.

I would’ve been perfectly happy correcting some writing for free or something…

Your initial question was poorly worded, but I’m not quite sure how it went from there to how things ended.

Ah, yes. I see that but I don’t see how it can be considered rude. I mean, if someone wanted me to give them something in return, all they had to do was ask. I wouldn’t have been offended if someone just said,“Excuse me, what can you give in return?”. To then go off, saying I am too stupid to study Russian is going just a bit too far.

It’s the internet. It makes people angry.

The stupid thing is that that exchange would never, ever happen if you were face to face. Or had ever met, even once.

Just for the record, I believe that it is best to accept uncertainty in a language we are learning, uncertainty as to the meaning, even uncertainty in any translation that we may find. This is even more so the case for songs and poetry where the meaning is often obtuse. It is better to continue learning and then revisit the song or poem later, after our language skills have improved. Unless of course there is a burning desire to understand the specific text, but then the goal is not language learning.

The reason I wished to get an accurate translation was because I had seen someone analyse a song in Turkish and from that learn not just vocabulary but also grammar. I was (and am still going to) do the same.

The great thing about independent language learning is that we can do what we want.