Translation Assistance

Nach Feierabend, also nach der Arbeit dort, übt er dann noch Landwirtschaft aus.

What is the correct English translation of the sentence above, thx.

Where did you get this from? That sentence is redundant redundant and awkward and doesn´t make sense and sounds weird and doesn´t make sense.^^

Translation: After work, well after work is over, he exerts agriculture.

I’m not good at translating into English. Like Paule I think there is a lot of redundancy.

An attempt of a quite literal (but maybe not good translation):
After finishing time, well after the work there, he then carries out farming in addition.

I remember my grandfather had a regular job in a factory, and in the afternoons he worked on his fields too. We called this “Nebenerwerbslandwirtschaft”

From VT #016, Stadt und Land one of your old stories Vera…sorry…
Here is a bit more…
Ein Nebenerwerbslandwirt hat einen festen Arbeitsplatz in einem Unternehmen. Nach Feierabend, also nach der Arbeit dort, übt er dann noch Landwirtschaft aus. Das war in unserer Gegend früher üblich, weil in unserer Region der Ertrag der Landwirtschaft nicht ausreichte, um das Überleben zu sichern.

The word “Nebenerwerblandwirt” isn’t so easy to translate - maybe it is vaguely like a kind of “part time smallholder”? If so my understanding of the text would be:

(…) A “part time smallholder” has a regular job with a company. After work (that is, after hours at the company) he then practises agriculture. In earlier times this was quite usual in our region, because it wasn’t possible to live from agriculture alone (…)

There are, of course, different ways of expressing this. One could equally well say: “…after finishing time at the company, he practises agriculture…etc…”

Thanks for the help force_de_frappe. Nice work.

Paul and Vera,

Are you both really saying that there is a lot of redundancy in the sentence being translated into English?

Paul, you even go so far as to say it doesn’t make any sense and sounds weird. How would you write it in German?

Vera, is this an exception or just the way you happen to write in German?

By the way, I would suggest a translation along the following lines in English:

A part-time farmer has a steady job at a company. At the end of the working day, that is, once work at the company is over, he then works in his fields. That used to be common practice in our region because it wasn’t possible to live off farming alone.

1 Like

Danke Maria, Deine Übersetzung hört sich sehr gut an. Wie ich schon oben sagte, bin ich nicht gut darin von Deutsch nach Englisch zu übersetzen :slight_smile:

Der Satz alleine mag sich schräg anhören, aber man muss den Satz in seinem Kontext sehen:
“Ein Nebenerwerbslandwirt hat einen festen Arbeitsplatz in einem Unternehmen. Nach Feierabend, also nach der Arbeit dort, übt er dann noch Landwirtschaft aus”.
Ich gebe ja in diesem Satz eine Erläuterung und wenn man nicht weiß, worauf sich der Satz bezieht, dann ist er vielleicht nicht verständlich.

In “Veras Tagebuch” schreibe ich so, wie man im Alltag spricht. Es soll ja ein Tagebuch sein und keine wissenschaftliche Abhandlung oder ein Zeitungsartikel.

@Maria “Paul, you even go so far as to say it doesn’t make any sense and sounds weird. How would you write it in German?”

Let me break it down for you. ^^

“Nach Feierabend, also nach der Arbeit dort,” <—the same statement twice
“übt er dann noch Landwirtschaft aus.” <— I didn´t understand what exactly “Landwirtschaft ausüben” means and it sounds unfamiliar.’

It suddenly started making sense and sounding normal when Alchemist posted the whole paragraph.^^
Personally, I´d write something like “Nachdem er in der Autowerkstatt Feierabend hat, baut er in seinem Garten Kartoffeln an.”

PS: Deine Übersetzung haut hin :slight_smile:

@Maria

“Works in his fields” is a very nice way to render “Landwirtschaft ausüben”. But it illustrates the old conundrum: where does translation slip over into paraphrase? :-0

@Paule
Maybe you’ve never heard “Landwirtschaft ausüben” because you live in a city?
It is a quiete common expression: Look here: landwirtschaft ausüben - Google Search

And the redundancy is caused because I explain something. I make sure that “Feierabend” is related to the job in a company only, and not to the end of work at all.

@Vera: “…the redundancy is caused because I explain something. I make sure that “Feierabend” is related to the job in a company only, and not to the end of work at all…”

Yes, I think that’s a very fair point. (But I guess the sentence only becomes clear when one sees the whole passage?)

@Vera “Maybe you’ve never heard “Landwirtschaft ausüben” because you live in a city?”

Lol^^
As I said earlier…

“It suddenly started making sense and sounding normal when Alchemist posted the whole paragraph.”

The problem was the lack of context, not your writing or the fact that I live in a city.

Folks, I cannot believe how thorough and helpful you all have been on this issue. It is so refreshing to find such a wonderful response. I had no idea anyone cared this much. You all are a rare bunch of folks. I am, as you probably can guess, a newby to Deutsch but really “Ich bin altmodischer Kauz.” I really like this language and I want to learn to speak the language as if it were my own. Everyday language is just as important to understand as Hochdeutsch from my point of view. Learning German has always been one of my major goals but I have not had time in my life to do so until now. As you all know, this goal is more easily said (in English) than done (auf Deutsch)–Ha! In any case, I really would like to visit Germany one day but I want to speak its native tongue when that day comes. Someday soon I would like to try and find out how to go about speaking with tutors in a proper manner. I really enjoy this website and the effort on all your parts to assist me is most gratifying and encouraging. Thanks to all once again for your help.