Total newbie with Anki interested in combining it with Lingq

Hi everyone! I am considering combining Anki with Linq to practice quizzing myself on the meaning of just a few carefully selected sentences and words that came up in my reading using an SRS.

The reason I’m thinking of bringing Anki into the equation is that I find it impossible to be sufficiently selective with native Lingq. I don’t find I’m as much in control of the review process as I’d like to be. I would also like the option of reviewing full sentences and to view the full paragraphs surrounding those sentences, which Lingq doesn’t provide.

I do not want to spend more than a maximum of 30 minutes per day at this, as I don’t want it to take up too large a proportion of my language-learning time. Days of French & Swedish has suggested that one can limit the time spent by creating a deck of a limited size, say 390 words and reviewing a very limited number of new cards per day (as low as 2!)

What are people’s thoughts on this?

Also, how easy is it to onboard onto Anki? An initial couple of hours of poking around suggest to me that there’s a fair bit of investment required in the beginning.

Also, is it possible to download just a few selected Lingq’s into Anki? It seems like all are downloaded and they can’t be filtered.

I’ve used Anki extensively. I’ve made over 3900 cards in French. I’ll tell you how I use it.

I never make a card with just a word, it’s always a full sentence or maybe 2 or 3 sentences, whatever it takes to illustrate the new word. Since it’s a full sentence of something you’ve read, you have a personal connection to it and there is never any “scratching your head wondering what a word means” (Steve’s issue with flashcards). I also record audio sometimes too, either the sentence from a show I was watching, or just the word by itself for pronunciation purposes (but that audio is attached to the card with the full sentence(s)).

I keep 2 decks. One for new vocab, and then a phrase deck for sentences where I know all the words, understood the sentence but wouldn’t have been able to say it myself. Or if there’s a specific grammar point (like sentences using the subjonctif), or some other construction (eg, in French, there is no direct equivalent of “about”, they have around 7 or 8 different ways of expressing it) or maybe I just find the sentence to be funny, or any other reason than just new vocab.

Pro-tip: Anki has one major flaw imo. You can’t ever pause it. It will take over your life if you’re not careful. If you spend 30 minutes a day on Anki, then go out of town for the weekend or are busy for a few days and can’t get to it, you’ll have 2 or 3 hours of anki to do to get caught back up. I highly suggest very judicious use of the “hard” button (use it very rarely), and do not let it get out of hand. Flashcards are a way of artificially introducing selective bits of repetition, it’s highly effective, but it should be a minority of your time. Imo, if you do an hour a day of language study, I’d limit flashcards to 5 or 10 minutes per day. I also think it’s more of an intermediate to advanced level thing to do, at the beginning, common words appear with enough frequency you don’t really need flashcards, but at the advanced level, you’ll come across words that you might not see again for months. Just my opinion.

1 Like