Tone markers for Chinese

It would be great if there was an option to display tone markers in Chinese. I often remember the pinyin, but sometimes unsure on the tones. So I’d rather just see the tone markers so it doesn’t interrupt the flow of reading. I find using pinyin makes me look towards the pinyin, rather than the characters.

1 Like

I think it would be great to have some kind of color coding, just like apps like Pleco have for tone markers. Before I used Lingq I used a reader called DuShu which had this implemented, and this is pretty much the only feature that I miss when reading books on Lingq. I feel that it really helps reinforce the tones when reading, since it’s usually easier to remember the pinyin thatnthe tones.

1 Like

I agree. Knowing the pinyin isn’t the problem, just remembering which tone it is. I often write out the tone markers above characters that I’m not sure of on paper to help remind myself. My tutor does the same.

Think Lingq don’t invest enough in their programming staff. They have known this issue for years, as well as with other languages like Hebrew, which reads from right-to-left. The word recognition for Hebrew with diacritics makes LingQ unusable to learn it.

1 Like