"To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before."

“To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before.” By Captain Kirk

One thing I have learned through reading a lot of materials at LingQ is that native speakers do not necessarily follow grammar rules. My question here is not whether we should follow grammar rules, or whether split infinitives are grammatically correct or not, either.

My questions are:

Do you use split infinitives quite often in your daily conversations?
If a non native speaker, like me, uses split infinitives in conversations, would that sound too posh, or too poetic, or too archaic, or none of these?

Thank you in Advance!

I think they are not used that often, but when used it is often for literary effect. But even in ordinary speech, “I want to really try hard this semester” etc. they are used.

I like this quote, “In this day and age, it seems, an injunction against splitting infinitives is one of those shibboleths whose only reason for survival is to give increased meaning to the lives of those who can both identify by name a discrete grammatical, syntactic, or orthographic entity and notice when that entity has been somehow besmirched.” From: Page Not Found

Indeed, I think that, especially as a nonnative speaker, trying to avoid splitting infinitives at all costs is more likely to make one sound mighty silly than it is to make one seem to have impressive grammar skills.
In some situations I do not think it is even possible to avoid splitting infinitives yet still maintain the meaning of the sentence.

Still though, people are free to write as they want. I’m sure many people disagree with me on this point. Anyway sorry for writing an essay.

Dear Steve,
Thank you for your quick reply! I, actually, like this usage very much, and have wanted to use it in my daily conversations. Now I am convinced that it is OK for me to use it.

You are always helpful!

Dear SolYViento,

Your post has made me think a lot about diversity in expressions of not only English but also of any language.

Anyway sorry for writing an essay.
I wish I could read more of your essay here. Thank you for your detailed explanation.

Yes, I agree.

There are many opinions about what you should and shouldn’t do in any language or how you should or should not speak.

But really, most of the time it just comes down to preference since you can’t possibly make everyone happy.

Good luck in your English studies.