Tips for finding new content?

Hello Everyone,

After completing a 90-day challenge last month, I managed to go through most of what LingQ has to offer in terms of Greek content. I’m a little tired of going over the same material, and would like to ask for general tips for finding new content.

I’m probably somewhere between A2 and B1, and I’m having a very hard time finding much to listen to. I know this is a problem for all languages, but I don’t remember it being so acute when I was learning Italian here, for instance.

Do you have any tips for finding new sources of content, or are you mostly satisfied with the material already on LingQ? (I’d love to have as many materials in Greek as there are for Russian or Chinese for example.)

Hello Greg.
In my case it’s mostly wikipedia. Unfortunately, without an audio.
For having a deal with a real native language being used daily by native speakers, I’d suggest on-line games (especially these in whose you have a chance to be a part of a team)

I also wish there was the content for Greek a bit similar and varied to what is here for example for Italian and Spanish.

Would you like Greek songs with their lyrics?

http://www.stixoi.info/stixoi.php?info=Lyrics&act=details&song_id=7319

1 Like

thank you

There are a lot of books (uncountable books) with audio at the site of the “Lighthouse for the Blind”!

1 Like

Thanks for this, but I can’t seem to find any downloadable audio. It looks like a physical library?

There is a mail address, where you can write to them, because you need some Greek books without idiomatic expressions and you also need to find the “body” of the Greek text online. Ask them (in English) what you need and I suppose that you’ll receive an answer. Maybe this photo from the physical library is from the initial copies. Blind people are all over the country not only in Athens. It would not be logical to not exist a modern way to receive, what you need.

You mention the Chinese library. There was a time, 6 or 7 years ago, when the Chinese library was actually the worst of all the LingQ libraries - in terms of available content. It only took a handful, or so, of people to build it up.

Some ways to possibly find content:

-hang out on Greek language learning posts and subs at reddit and see what materials get mentioned, ask questions about resources

-trawl through major Greek news sites, esp for text and audio

-learn what the most common search terms in Greek are for audio and text, mp3 and transcript, podcast and transcript etc – then google these terms extensively

-search the major Greek youtube channels, particularly for the names of major tv stations or tv programs, with the search filter additionally set for “subtitles/CC”

-go to italki and hang out in the “answers” and “discussions” sections, with filter set for Greek, ask questions about resources

-go to itunes, then podcasts, then set your language to Greek and look at the most popular native podcasts - search for transcripts of these podcasts - if can’t get transcripts - post on upwork for someone to make up transcripts cheaply

-start a thread on language learning sites – listing Greek resources you have found and invite others to add

-find any dedicated Greek language learning forums and hang out there looking for resources

-get together with other LingQ members learning Greek and pool together to create content - eg along the lines of this thread – https://www.lingq.com/forum/1/31709/

If you get permission to share content, I’d encourage you to do so. Not least, because sharing content forces you to really go through a lesson and check to see if it is worth publishing and try to remove as many errors as possible - this act, in and of itself, is really useful for building up your ability in that language.