Time Spent Listening

Is the time spent listening total/stat simply the amount of time of the lessons multiplied by the number of times one listens to the lessons, plus any time you manually add?

I find I spend a lot of time using the repeat feature, over and again, and thus end up spending a lot more time listening, often double or triple, to the amount of time attributed to the lesson. If the “real time” is not counted, what is, if any, the recommended practice for adjusting time to actual listening time?

At the bottom of each lesson there is the ‘number of times read’ counter. You can adjust it yourself. The first time you listen to a text it gets updated, but updating any more reading only will have to be done manually.

@CTaylor - Yes, the player can only register each time the audio file completes. It will not track repeats and rewinds. You will just have to estimate how much extra listening you have done and add it in. It’s for your own records so there is no need to be too worried about being exact.

Okay, figured that, but wanted to make sure so I didn’t end up unwittingly adding too much time.

By the way, is there any chance LingQ will ever add a “slow down” feature, where you could listen audios x percentage slower.

thx

We do have that in our wishlist. For now, you will have to download to an external player that has this feature.

Thanks. Do you have any sense for which players people on the site tend to look toward for this type of thing. Thanks

It’s not something I do but you can ask others or try searching the forum for players that have been mentioned. Anyone have some suggestions for players that can slow down audio files?

@CTaylor - I remember one learner who said they use an iPhone app to do this. The specific app that was mentioned can be found here: ‎Slow Down Music Player on the App Store

Audacity can do it and it’s free.
I found these instructions in a forum:

"open the file in audacity
select the whole file
goto the effects menu and choose “Change Tempo”
decide how slow you wanna go- click preview to hear a snippet
click “OK”

export your file to another mp3 (or wav or whatever) so it will play on your player. audacity has it’s own saved file project structure you can only play in audacity."

If it’s only playback you want, you can set the speed in Windows Media Player (normal, fast and slow). It won’t change the speed permanently, but you don’t have to do any converting/exporting/saving/etc.

On my iPod I use and recommend Anytune. It is free (I think). I suppose there is also a version for iPhones and iPads.

WIth Audacity, for example, I don’t see how this can work since I don’t think the user of a lesson has access to the original mp3 to convert, or is there a way to do that?

You can download the audio file, when you open the lesson there’s an icon next to the printer icon:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1028855/lingq/2013-07-30_2205.png

Isn’t there a “download audio” link?

These will slow down or speed up audio during playback of downloaded .mp3 files:

http://www.altools.com/ALTools/ALSong.aspx

Each has its pluses and minuses. As I don’t use the variable speed feature very often anymore, I can’t really say which does it best.