This girl's Chinese is amazing!

One of the first clips I saw was this one (about a year ago):
OMG! 美语 Badonkadonk! - YouTube (OMG! 美语 Badonkadonk! :D)

I thought I was going to see a clip of Charlotte MacInniss.

I think that, with the rise and opening of China, and the advent of internet language learning, seeing westerners with ok mandain is getting less and less surprising.

“westerners” with truly amazing Mandarin: Julien Gaudfroy, MacInniss, Mark Roswell, Michael Crook etc.

Of course there are westerners with higher levels of Mandarin, but most of them have spent years in China, and have much more experiences than this woman does. What is particularly unusual about Jessica Beinecke (the girl in the video) is that she learned her Chinese at University in the USA and has remained in the USA, teaching English to Chinese people as her part time hobby. Her day job is working for radio show Voice of America.

1 Like

I agree with Anthony. Based on an interview I saw, Charlotte MacInniss and her sister were children when they went to China. They attended school there as well. What’s so amazing about their Mandarin since they are practically “natives"?
OMG is very entertaining, and quite frankly, I think Jessica Beinecke’s ability is amazing.

Agree her delivery is entertaining, but I think my point was meant that – if you are less than fluent and have a clear accent, your second language ability isn’t “amazing”, at least to me. But, of course, each to their own.

Probably wasting my time pointing to the obvious - that plenty of people in Asia have much better Mandarin, without having lived in China.

Hardly any of these post on youtube, or seek a lot of attention, or look distinctly non-Chinese, however. Which is probably some of the difference in perception here, I suspect.

“Amazing”, to me, is precisely someone who’s second language is better than 95% of native population’s ability (like the one’s listed above).

Mandarin still remains one of those “difficult” languages for foreigners, where you can be far from fluent and still be “amazing”?

“Amazing”, to me, is precisely someone who’s second language is better than 95% of native population’s ability (like the one’s listed above).

Well, that is a tall order indeed and I am not sure that our French friend JG is in that bracket, in fact I am rather sure he is not. I saw him on TV and he is of course very good indeed but even he used some phrasing that my friends found not very natural.