The NHS

Howdy all. I know it is quite common to trash the NHS as being useless or inefficient or whatever, but here is a nice story that seems to paint a different picture.

The story is about a report from the ‘Commonwealth Fund’, who are some American based private foundation. I know nothing about them, but I have had a quick look and don’t see anything suspicious about them (they arn’t taking money from Big Coal or anything like that, as far as I can tell). The summary from their report can be found here

It seems the NHS comes top in nine of the thirteen categories (including efficiency) that they assessed and second in two of them (including cose per capita). The Gaurdian article does admit one major weakness, though I am sure we can all agree, this is a minor thing for a health care system

“The only serious black mark against the NHS was its poor record on keeping people alive.”

2 Likes

“Despite putting the most money into health, America denies care to many patients in need because they do not have health insurance and is also the poorest at saving the lives of people who fall ill, it found.”
I think that this situation should not be regarded as reflecting ‘unavoidable’ sacrifices that people living in the USA make for securing their individual freedom.

(Edited)

Here is another interesting set up figures from 2012 (apparently from the World Health Organisation)

Apparently even state spending on health care in the US is greater than in the UK, which surprised me. I always thought of it as a trade-off between paying for healthcare through taxes and paying individually. Maybe I misunderstood something.

Anyway, I know very little about this subject, so I find it hard to know what sources of information to trust and how to interpret the information.

“state spending on health care in the US is greater than in the UK, which surprised me. I always thought of it as a trade-off between paying for healthcare through taxes and paying individually.”

It’s a real mess here… We do have a couple single payer systems, you just have to be a veteran or over the age of 65 to qualify for them. Generally these systems are very highly rated, especially Medicare. It is true that the VA has had a few high profile scandals as of late.

My new home state of Vermont is in the process of putting into action the first universal single-payer system in the US. Vermont health care reform - Wikipedia It’s single-payer à la canadienne; residents receiving a card that pays for medical services that are provided by private practices.