"The Linguist: a language learning odyssey" AVAILABLE IN ITALIAN

Finally, after weeks and weeks of strenuous work, I have completed the translation & recording of Steve’s whole book into italian.

Just to give an idea to our dear italian learners, it means 62 new lessons, hours of recorded audio, thousands of new words to lingq, and all for free!

Only the first 10 chapters have been uploaded into the library, the rest of the book will be gradually uploaded in the following days by Alex (the admin), so as not to overwhelm our students.

The address of the collection is Il linguista: la guida all’apprendimento delle lingue - LingQ Language Library

Have fun!

PS: Don’t forget I’m here to help you… If you have a doubt or a question to ask, just contact me.

Ciao Adalberto, great work !
I’ll be studying these very soon myself.
Mille grazie per il tuo lavoro e a presto !

Sono molto contenta che ora abbiamo una traduzione italiana del libro di Steve nella biblioteca. Piena di entusiasmo ho iniziato a leggerlo e ad ascoltarlo, ma che delusione!
Mi ha frustrato sentire la cattiva qualità dell’audio del primo capitolo. Spero che venga registrato di nuovo con una migliore qualità.A proposito, vi sarei grata se il testo fosse registrato da persone diverse con accenti diversi, come nella versione tedesca.
un saluto jolanda

@ Jolanda

Ciao Jolanda. I primi 10 capitoli li ho registrati con un microfono stereo di alta qualità, sei sicura che il problema che riscontri non sia dovuto al tuo computer?

Adalberto, ho ascoltato anch’io il primo capitolo e anch’io ho riscontrato gli stessi problemi.

I listened to the lessons. The problem is restricted to the first 10 chapters (those which have already been uploaded onto LingQ). This may be caused by the fact that I used a different microphone to record them.

I also changed my computer to a new one, with Windows 7 installed on it . Therefore I could only use the beta version of Audacity, being the only one compatible with the new OS. Something must have gone wrong with that.

Chapters from 11 to 62 have better audio.

I’ll re-record the first 10 chapters as soon as I can. Thanks for the feedback.

It is really only the first chapter that sounded bad to me. At least redo that one right away and the 2-10 when you have the time. Anyway thanks for a great effort.

I agree with Jolanda, that it is great to have guest voices for our content. Any content that belongs to LingQ is free for others to record again and submit as a different version of the content.

This brings us different voices, accents, and , a in the case of Alsuvi’s work , opens up the the possibility of doing some slow recording.This is especially useful for the beginner series. Listening to different versions of the same content is good for noticing, in my view.

@ steve

You’re right! It seems that only chapters 1 and 10 have bad audio. I’ll record the two by the end of the day.

Steve, I assume from your post that I can retranslate your book and record it myself. Am I right? Although the version that is now in the Library is good and useful, I have noticed some “mistakes” or sentences that sound very English. I mean, it’s too clear that we are reading a translation. Of course, Adalberto is young and is not a professional translator as I am after studying this for many years (but I am sure many of my university mates who have a degree in translation wouldn’t have done such a good job), so I won’t criticize his job.
However, I would like to try to make the text sound “more Italian”, if it’s clear what I mean.
I hope you all understand my positive and constructive attitude. :slight_smile:

Congratulazioni per l’ottima traduzione! Non ho il tempo di leggere il tutto, ma trovo sia ben fatta. Quanto alla narrazione, è buona anch’essa.

I sent Alex new versions of chapter 1 and 10, after making sure they sounded ok. He’ll upload them as soon as he can.

I may have discovered why chapters 1 and 10 sounded so bad. It seems there was a conflict between audacity and windows 7. Windows wanted microphones to record at 48000 khz (LingQ does not support audio files recorded at this frequency rate, and plays them fuzzily), whereas Audacity at 44100khz. I assume Windows has precedence over Audacity, and so it imposed its frequency rate.

By the way, now all is fixed up and ready. Good learning to you all.

I must say that I enjoy Adalberto’s narration. It is slow and deliberate and easy to listen to and learn from.

With regard to redoing the book, Michele, I am having second thoughts. I wonder if it is worth doing, or whether it would not be better for you to use your talents to create some new and original content for LingQ.

You are probably right Steve. I think I will continue writing lessons about my stay in Bulgaria (if just it didn’t take so long to write and record them!) and uploading audiobooks.

@ Michele

I think it would be very beneficial to our italian learners to have some “point of view” stories, like Albert did with Spanish. I constantly hear from people they are having a dreadful time dealing with Italian verbs.

Michel,
I fully agree with the above comments. I would much prefer studying your exploits in Bulgaria than being able to choose a second, revised account of work someone else has already covered.
I look forward to reading and listening to your time spent in Bulgaria !

Ok, I’ll forget about the things I wanted to improve in the Italian version of Steve’s book and try to write more lessons about Bulgaria. I wish I could manage my time in a better way…
Jamie, have you already read and listened to the two lessons of “Un’italiano a Sofia” I have already shared?

Not yet Michele, I’ll be downloading them tonight after work !

Ok, Jamie, please let me know if you like them! I must confess I still haven’t written the next lesson…