The importance of following local time practices

The importance of following local time practices when traveling to other countries in order to avoid misunderstanding.
Question: I don’t understand the word “practices” here. Is it used as a verb or a noun here? And what does it mean here?
Thank you!!

It is a noun. Everything you do under the sun is included in your practices.

“Practices” is clearly a noun here, in plural. More context is needed, but I would guess “local time practices” means something like at what time people from a certain country get up in the morning, eat, go to work, go to sleep, etc.

2 Likes

I imagine that the excerpt comes from an article or something like that which deals with how to cope with jet lag and sleepiness.

This is correct. Synonyms for ‘practices’ in this sentence are ‘customs’ or ‘habits’.

1 Like

Let me also add that this is not a full sentence, because it does not have a verb.

@peterB1
The following is my guess.

The importance of following local time practices when traveling to other countries [cannot be exaggerated.]

@Yutaka
This is certainly one possibility, but for learners of English, it is important to understand that the original statement could not be a sentence in any text, although it could be a title.

In English, as in other languages, some parts of a sentence can have implicit meaning and could be guessed from context, but this is not the case for this fragment.

I agree that the original phrase is not a complete SENTENCE but a relatively long NOUN PHRASE. It might be a title, but in that case it has too many words. Good titles tend to be shorter than that.