The changing nature of English

What do others think of this? Should we (or do we) change our English when doing business with non-natives? Should non-native speakers of English only strive for “international” standards of usage, or should they keep native speakers as the benchmark for their own progress? Does anyone think the continued use of English as a lingua franca is going to “destroy” (or has destroyed) English for native speakers?

@Marianne10 raised a similar question in another thread the other day (I can’t find it at the moment). I would think it a pity if us foreigners would not strive for the best English (substitute language of choice) possible.

On the other hand, I do see the point in simplifying the language when doing business with non-native speakers to enable smoother, clearer negotiations. If your counterparts are fluent speakers, you can always raise the level of language used.

I’ve seen a lot of simplification going on over the years. Some of the leaflets put out by some government departments are now more than simple…

Simple as I am, I haven’t yet read your link. Will do so asap!

To me language is personal. We choose how to speak like we choose our clothes. We also like some colours and not others. In every language I speak, including English, I try to get as close as possible to the language of educated people. As a non-native speaker I know I make mistakes, and it does not bother me. I know I simplify the language and this does not bother me. I would really be annoyed if native speakers simplified their language for me.

This article and its contents are of no interest to me. Just something for language experts to talk about.

You choose your words, and you choose your clothes. You are influenced in your choice by your environment and limited by what is available.