The Camera

Are there any photographers out there, amateur or professional? I am working hard to learn how to use my camera and have been having fun with it. I wonder what kinds of things people like to photograph, and where they go if they want to go on a photowalk or longer excursion.

I like to photograph different details and figure skating :slight_smile:

PS. Looking at mine avatar Oh yes, I like to take photos of myself also :))

Cakypa, Excellent!

What are your secrets for figure skating shots? I find action shots very difficult, and it is hard to get in a good position, sometimes, as well.

Here is my figure skating photos: Facebook
The secret is good lenses. I don’t have as big lens as professional sport photographers have, but anyway quite big --75-300mm. Also it is crucial to use a short exposure when you are photographing sport.

Here are a few tips for shutterbugs I find very useful.

1. The trash bin should be your best friend and primary tool. Take five hundred pictures, trash four hundred ninety, and leave ten best shots.
  2. The lens is not an eye, it’s a window. Keep that in mind when framing your shot.
  3. Remember the Rule of Thirds. Our eyes are naturally drawn to a point about two-thirds up a frame. When framing a shot, mentally divide it into nine sections using two vertical and two horizontal lines. Keep the main subject around one of the intersection points of these lines, rather than in the center of the image. You can achieve the same effect in post production: crop an image so that the point of interest is located on one of the lines or their intersections. You’ll be surprised at how much more prominent the object will look.

The rest are technicalities which you’ll learn along the way (exposure, aperture, f-stops, etc.). Don’t worry about them.

Cakypa: Lenses are key, yes. I totally agree. A really good lense can help you get a very sharp photo. And a long lens such as the one you have mentioned can help you get very close to a shot you would otherwise miss. It is nice to have if you want to take shots of people, and you are shy about using the camera when you are too close.

I love your figure skating shots, particularly this one.
http://bit.ly/dgSpA9

Astamoore: Great tips. I love the trash bin suggestion, but once I have the shot, I have the hardest time getting rid of it, unless it is clearly very blurry or hopelessly overexposed or underexposed. For one thing, I think I might want the shot later, for reference purposes. Do you have any trouble being ruthless about what to delete?

It is nice to have if you want to take shots of people, and you are shy about using the camera when you are too close.
Yeah. It even more helpful, when people the pic of whom you want to take, are too shy. And as I like candid shots and shots of different details, I love my 75-300mm lenses :slight_smile:
Btw, does somebody use colour filters here? What filters do you prefer? I want to start use them, but first I need to save some money to buy them :slight_smile:

Rasana: I don’t think color filters are very relevant nowadays, when everybody and his brother shoots digital. With film cameras, you can get excellent results using color filters (especially for black-and-white film). Still, even film will eventually end up on a computer, so you can manipulate the shot and apply any color correction you want to it.

KnowItSome: You can always archive the shots you can’t bring yourself to get rid of on a DVD. Also, if you can’t delete some shots that you know you should delete right away, just return to that series a few days or even weeks later. It’ll be much easier to be ruthless about some shots. So trash them mercilessly.

I was wondering the same thing about filters. I wondered why one would bother if one is using digital, because you can do the processing after you take the shot, and can at that point, use any color you like. I do however, use a UV filter, all the time. It protects my actual lense by keeping outside material off of it.

Today it is pouring buckets outside. A great day to get some different looking shots of my neighborhood, but I am always worried about taking my camera out in heavy rain.

I do however, use a UV filter, all the time. It protects my actual lense by keeping outside material off of it.
Yeah, the same thing :slight_smile: Everyone, I think, use it :slight_smile:

Today it is pouring buckets outside.
Would you send several hundreds of these buckets to Magnitogorsk? We have been suffering without rain for the last 4 months. There is a danger that we will out of water this winter. This means – no drinking-water, no hot water, no heating… The problem is that in our city there is not technical water, only drinking water. We use it for everything… Sorry for the offtop :slight_smile:

Generally, you can leave a UV filter on all the time, but keep in mind that it may introduce lens flare and reduce contrast on some shots.

Astamoore:

AH! Lens flare, yes I get that flare sometimes, and it never occurred to me that this was happening because of the UV filter. I will have to think about this the next time the sun is a bit low in the sky, and I am shooting in the general direction of the sun. I think that is when my lens flare happens.

Cakypa: Offtop is great! It is all about having a chance to speak, yes? The topic is not so important.

Four months with no rain! Is that typical for your area? It looks like you have some lakes nearby, and perhaps some forest area to the northwest? I am seeing green on my google maps, but I do not know what that green area northwest of Magnitogorsk signifies.

We had little rain the last few months, also, in North Carolina, on the east coast of the US. We are glad to have this rainy period.

If you often shoot with the camera facing the sun, you should invest in a lens hood. (Sometimes you can get away with the palm of your hand, much like you’d protect your eyes from the bright sun.)

To protect your lens, there are clear filters available. If you still prefer a UV filter, purchase the one with anti-glare/anti-reflective coating.

“I was wondering the same thing about filters. I wondered why one would bother if one is using digital, because you can do the processing after you take the shot, and can at that point, use any color you like.”

KnowItSome

I shoot digital and I use a VariND filter as much as I can during sunny days. The reason you would use a filter like a VariND filter for digital cameras is be able to keep the aperture as wide as possible to get that depth of field ( especially when you shoot with fast lenses like a 1.2 or 1.4 50 mm lens) IF you didnt use anykind of filters on a prime lens you wouldnt get alot of depth on bright sunny days because you would have to keep the aperture at something like F12+ with a REALLY fast shutter speed to make the image darker ( also you would have to play with the exposure setting and bring it to minus). Anyways with an ND / Vari ND filter you can shoot in a sunny day with the aperture wide open. As far as colour filters, Its nice to play with them. Some peopel are really uptight with playing around with images afterwards. They prefer getting the image right away. No alteration. Takes some skills i guess.

keroro,
ND / Vari ND filters are interesting. I should learn about them more :slight_smile:

atamoore,
I use a lend hood for the “large” lens only. I’ve never seen lens flare on shots taken with standard lens. Perhaps, the reason is that I almost don’t use this lens :slight_smile: Or probably that UV-filter has anti-glare/anti-reflective coating that you mentioned. I really don’t know.

KnowItSome,
No, usually we have quite a lot rains both in summer and autumn. But it is the 4th autumn without rains. 150-200 km north-ward they don’t have any troubles with water. We have :frowning: And as it was not rained during the summer, we don’t have harvest this year. It resulted in higher prices for bread, milk, butter — almost everything.