Tags ,error types and noticing

As I focus more on speaking in Russian, and to some extent writing, I am trying to be more accurate in my use of cases and the other difficult aspects of Russian usage.

I think it would be useful if my error types in the writing correction were also my Tags. The error types in writing were developed for English and are not necessarily useful for other languages, such as Russian.

Do you look at your error types when you receive your writing correction report?

What would be the most important error types for the language you are learning?

For me, in Russian, I would choose the following, for starters.

Case
Verb aspect
Word choice
Adjective

If we had different error types for each language, we may be able to make these error types available as a default list of potential Tags for people to choose from, with the list being different for each language. I think this would help me notice the language better.

This is not something we are about to do, I am just looking for feedback. Any comments?

I heard from Russian who lives in Lithuania that it is incorrectly to say the phrase I have a ticket - Ja imeju bilet, whereas it needs to be said this way U mene jest bilet. That is the common mistake Lithuanians make with Russian language. Patterns of how we make sentences in Lithuanian and I how they should be in Russian are quite different.
The second hurdle it is the variety of i sounds in Russian which even Lithuanians with fluent Russian struggle to manage.

I am quite comfortable with the “U mene jest” form now, although I may slide, from time to time, into the "Ja imeju " form which is more similar to English . There are certainly many other ways that English influences my Russian. Right now I am on cases, but it might be useful to Tag all the different ways of saying “have” in Russian, and then review them as a group, editing the phrases. It might be useful to record such a list, or have a native speaker record it.

I have had a native speaker record a random list of words, but did not find that I could listen to it more than once. It may be better to focus on one specific usage area in one list. I hope that as we develop the pronunciation section we will enable learners to listen to and record themselves reading items on a list, one by one.

Genders also tricky, there is 2 genders in Lithuanian language, whereas Russian has 3. Don’t know exactly about the English but I didn’t come across one except that Santiago treated the sea as feminine… But it can be solved easily by knowing the words ending so it is the issue more of the vocabulary rather than gender.

I agree that it is an issue of word endings. However, words endings are difficult to remember. In Latin languages it is difficult for English speakers to remember the conjugations of verbs when speaking. Many non-native speakers of English have trouble with the “s” in the third person singular etc.

That is why I find that using Tags is really helping me gradually notice the endings. I review them on my list, I hear them better and see them better when I listen and read, and then they start to slowing become more natural to me. It sill requires me to hear the specific words. I do not say this new word is feminine and the case is dative therefore. Rather I hear or see the word in context, recognize what it means and eventually manage to produce the phrases correctly without thinking about gender or case.

My quick list of tags as an English learner:

Articles
Tenses
Verb forms
Clauses
Correct vocabulary
Overall structure

For those not used to the writing report here are the categories we now use for English

Article
Choice of Words
Preposition
Pronoun
Punctuation
Singular/Plural
Unnatural Usage
Word Form
Word Order
Other