Susanna Zaraysky , she is fluent in a lot of language!

Hello everybody, I talked to steve today about interviewing this beautiful lady , it seems she is native-like in a lot of language, and she has a lot in common with lingq methods, what you guys think about it? hugs…

Female polyglot explains how to learn languages (CBS) - YouTube english
Susanna Zaraysky en El Show de Fernando Hidalgo - YouTube spanish

I pretty much prefer to listen to podcast, but she says language is music so …

Sure, how do I go about interviewing her?

I just happened to be reading her book (the Spanish version). Like most of us here, she emphasizes on the importance of input (somehow she managed to make a guest post on Benny’s blog. How weird?!) But she thinks classes are important, too.

She believes achieving native-like accent is very important though, which I disagree a little.

Steve, I think you can just contact her.

E-mail: info@kaleidomundi.com well, it is the only thing I got until now, but, I am gonna try more details

She seems to be very fluent in her languages. I find that language learning has a lot do with vocabulary, so listening to music is not going to do it; and not everyone is going to achieve a great accent, regardless how much they listen to music.

I do agree with many of the things she says.

She sure is much more successful than I am in getting PR!! That is for sure.

Edwin, where do you suggest I contact her?

jugalou sent me her email address. I will contact her.

Thanks Jugalou um abrazo as they say in your lovely country.

Steve, this is her official homepage, which is basically selling her book:

Here is her twitter account: https://twitter.com/#!/languageismusic

I asked about her book in twitter recently and received a reply from her, so she must be responsive.

I have several ideas for Steve to get more PR for LingQ… you should interview these key people:

• Moses
  • Félix (Loki2504)
  • Stu Ray
  • Richard that 16 language guy
  • Luca from Italy

Start doing these ridiculously impressive multi-language interviews will get people people noticing how impressive you guys are and that anyone can do it with the 7 secrets to language learning.

Anyway, enough of my business consultation :slight_smile:

I challenge this Susanna lady based on this video from Antonio Graceffo: Interview on Language Mastery Web TV (Parts 1) - YouTube

What he said in summary, the activities that Susanna describes will surely entail that you will be “blocking out”.

From the Youtube Video that I linked:

• To learn languages you need to do a shit load of hard work… he would read, watch and do everything for hours per day.

• People think that they can go hang out with their chinese friends and hope that can learn chinese through osmosis.1 hour of spending time with your friends = 3 minutes of study.

• You go hangout with your friends and they talk about a million things, they may not come to the same topic twice, may not come to it quickly enough and you lose it before they come back to it, you are just not learning it fast.

• Lots of people say they hang out and spend time with their chinese friends, and he said - you go do that for a year and I’ll go study for a year and compare at the end of the year.

• There is al linguistic theory called listening to chinese radio:

• if you were locked in a jail cell for 20 years in isolation, and listened to chinese radio 24 hours per day for 20 years, when you finally come out of the cell you still can’t speak Chinese. Because you would have no reference what any of those meant, you couldn’t begin to learn them, your brain within 2-3 minutes will tune them out
  • His whole life growing up in new york, he was exposed to chinese characters. You learn to block them out. If you ask a New Yorker if there are chinese characters on the street, they would say of course not, this is America. Then you walk down the street and you look for the Chinese characters and you see it everywhere. This is because you learn to block it out…

• You want to stop blocking out behaviours

• People think they are speaking because they talked to a Chinese person for 3 hours:
    no you are not great, because

• you tuned out 70% of what they said
  • everything they said you controlled
  • you described instead of using the appropriate vocab
  • and for those that don’t have a lot of chinese friends, they had the same conversation 20 something times

@jugalou : thank you for showing us these links. I listened to one of her videos, she certainly speaks Spanish well! Very interesting!

Unlike her, I find I reach a point of over-exposure to sound and then I begin to block out as @Milanmaras mentions. ( @Milanmaras I wish you wouldn’t use ‘shit-load’ on a site which doesn’t usually use this kind of very colloquial language. There are other, more elegant, phrases you could use. You wouldn’t want beginners to start off on the wrong foot, so to speak, would you?)

I just dipped into the video linked by @Milanmaras and will watch it fully a little later. It already looks very interesting. That guy certainly is no Benny. Thank you!

@steve: As to getting more PR, what about buying a black string vest or so?

I am not sure how interviewing Susanna or other polyglots could help martketing LingQ. Did LingQ make them successful?

If Steve interviews these successful polyglots, what should he say about LingQ? Say that LingQ is better than their methods and this would upset their followers. Say that LingQ is as good as their methods and this won’t make any impact.

We should instead interview those who have used LingQ to become good at their target languages, or have them post up videos to talk about it, like the video contest LingQ is holding.

Moses did a video about LingQ before. I’ll try and find the link.

Remember, some of these people, like Moses and Susanna, also have their own products and methodologies to sell. The interviews will just end up being one of those “my method is better than yours” discussions.

Susanna is pretty wise, but to underline 2 things:

1. learning languages can be fun and enjoyable, but it will still take a loooong time like a marathon
  2. use it or loose it.

@SanneT: Sorry, the word I used is super typical and common in Australia. It had no negative or vulgar reference. However, I’ll try to be less Aussie in my expressions. Sometimes for me, I can’t tell what I say is colloquial or not. Like the other day at work the British guy said “and so Bob’s your uncle”. I understood, but the Chinese people were saying “no X is my uncle!”

@Edwin: I only just realised it, you are right. It adds no value to interview these polyglottes other than to simply show off (I’m better than you type conversation) which is kind of unattractive. If this forum had a delete button I would delete that post :slight_smile: I wish steve would interview the members… I’ll love to talk to Steve in Cantonese :slight_smile: I would also ONE DAY love to talk to Steve in French. In nearly EVERY video I make I always mention LingQ.com :slight_smile:

Just because there is no explicit plug or information, does not mean there is no PR value. An interview is interesting. People will pay attention and find more about the participants.

even though we can have this kind of discussion “my method is better than yours” at least we have our own opinion and you can pick the best of each method!!!

I’d certainly like being interviewed though I think many people on this forum (especially women and the japanese) prefer more privacy.

“if you were locked in a jail cell for 20 years in isolation, and listened to chinese radio 24 hours per day for 20 years, when you finally come out of the cell you still can’t speak Chinese. Because you would have no reference what any of those meant, you couldn’t begin to learn them, your brain within 2-3 minutes will tune them out”

nice theory but I guess the original theory has more details. I mean, what kind of radio programs? just music? random radiostations? etc etc etc

even though you have no visual aids nor normal points of reference (what’s this, what’s that), somehow if you listen to the same kind of “situations” quite often you’ll get some information (patterns)… why not always? I have no clue. our subconscious mind is quite weird - I can tell

osmosis/contagious do exist (in so many fields)

those “impossible/possible” results-situations rely on specific conditions

“you go do that for a year and I’ll go study for a year and compare at the end of the year”
results could vary dramatically… I guess some people would learn faster through that “hanging out” method. it depends on the student’s conditions (resources, attitude, aptitude, discipline, environment, time, previous knowledge, and so on)

that freaking context/details makes me crazy