Surf the net by your reading level

On Google search, look through the “Advanced Search” Options. Not only can you filter your results by target language, you can also select reading level: beginner, intermediate and advanced. I have no idea how they do it.

It seems to work, reasonably well. When browsing for Russian and Japanese I got a lot of English-language hits, but that may be something to do with the way those sites are encoded rather than any fault on Google’s part.

That’s useful to know. Thanks

I find where I can chose the language, but not where I can choose the level.

Ah…that may explain why it seems to ignore the language selected. It’s coded on the assumption that you are doing an English language search.

I was getting excited because I thought they had developed a reading level algorithm which was language-independent. I suspect they’re just using an English-language one, which may or may not work for other languages.

I doubt it is possible for a program to judge whether something is written in difficult or easy language. At least I hope so. :slight_smile: It’s often not even easy for me as a human to judge that.

Merci MissTake. Ca marche !!!

Just came across this function today. Seems to work well for Swedish. Could come in handy for finding material for import.

My guess would be that they are judging by sentence length, number of clauses in a sentence and words in a clause, maybe average length of words, something like that. That would be fairly independent of a particular language’s characteristics, at least in Western languages. Rudolf Flesch and others developed readability indexes that are based on such calculations.

Helen, if you want to see a site that does (or overdoes) such things in Russian, take a look here: www.fantlab.ru . Choose an author you like and look at the list of his books, at the bottom of his page. If there is a little yellow beaker symbol towards the right of the listing, an analysis has been done of his works. Click on the beaker symbol and you’ll be brought to a page w/ the analysis, such as this one: Лингвистический анализ: Сергей Лукьяненко «Ночной Дозор» for Ночной дозор, by Сергей Лукьяненко, which book was made into a movie several years ago that was shown in the West.

There is a superabundance of results here. At the bottom of the page is a list of authors whose styles, acc. to this method of analysis, most closely resemble the style of the book. That is the most interesting section, to me. . . . And there is so much more. The information they give is overwhelming.

Leaving that function aside, it’s simply a great site if you like science fiction, with reviews, author profiles, “breaking news,” &c.

Blimey that looks like an interesting site! Большое спасибо!

Example 1
When I put a Japanese word “減弱係数” which I don’t know,

Basic 0%
Intermediate 0%
Advanced 100%

Example 2
Japanese Anime for children “ドラえもん”

Basic 66%
Intermediate 32%
Advanced 2%

Example 3
English word “linear attenuation coefficient”

Basic < 1%
Intermediate < 1%
Advanced 99%

But some Advanced level words are considered as Basic or Intermediate. So I will try to use this option, but it is me that have to examine each page’s level.