Stats help please

Would someone be able to explain to my how the stats work within Lingq?

My Spanish Stats
177 Known words
142 LingQs
LingQs Learned 37

So basically do I only know 37 words within Lingq and 177 have came across my path, finally 142 lingqs have been highlighted for me to review?

Thanks!

So basically, you’ve made 142 LingQs, so you’ve saved 142 words and phrases. Out of the 142 you’ve saved, you’ve learnt 37 of them. In terms of reviewing, I believe the LingQs you have not learned, will be available for you to review. Also, you’ve moved 177 words to known, that also includes those 37 LingQs.

wow. Back to back Aussies on this thread. Awesome!

2 Likes

I am originally from England, currently here on a working holiday haha!

thanks for explaining, so when I see people who have like 30 thousand known words within Lingq they may only have Learned 10 thousand?

As long as we’re still in the Anglosphere it counts!

No. If someone has 10,000 learned lingqs for example, that would be among the 30K words learned.

For example, I have about 31,000 known words, 43,000 (created) LingQs created, and 4,900 “Learned” lingqs.

That means I have turned 43,000 Blue words into yellow words, and then, of those, 4,900 yellow words into “known” white words.

Put another way: I have read/seen over 30,000 Spanish words that I know. 4,900 of my known words came from having made lingqs and then learned them.

In theory, if I were to never again use any new material, or never again create a new lingq, and only learned the ones I already created, I would end up with the same 43,000 created lingqs, 43,000 learned lingqs (sincere I learned them all), and 74,000 known words.

so what I am saying is, you only know about 4,900 Spanish words that are “White” that you know of the top of your head?

Forgive me if I am not reading what you have just said incorrectly, I have seen Steve’s words for russian and its about 90 thousand or so I am thinking well how many “Known” words are there that he has now learned?

he could have known other words before and then just saved them, without adding a Lingq. Also, remember that in some languages words have many different forms which inflates the known words count greatly.

I wouldn’t worry about known words all that much, it isn’t really supposed to be accurate, just to give a measure of progress.

“Forgive me if I am not reading what you have just said incorrectly”

What was incorrectly ? What he said or what you read ? If incorrectly refers to reading this sentence makes no sense. If incorrectly refers to said - how do you know what he said to be incorrect if you didn’t read it ?
Shouldn’t you put incorrectly before the verb ?

He mean “correctly.”

Correct. There are many, many known words that I have saved as such without first making a linqq of them. They could be ones I learned before I found LingQ, from somewhere other than lingq, or I just recognized them or learned them from the context over and over again in the same article.

For me, I know 31,0000 words total. That includes 4900 learned specifically from the 43,000 lingqs I created.

For Steve’s Russian, he knows 93K, of which he learned 3500 words from the 50,000 lingqs he created.

It’s important to note; however, that in reality you will know many more words that you have learned from lingqs, but which will not be reflected in your learned linqs numbers. This is simply because there are probably so many that you haven’t “moved” to known yet. And there are many more that you know, but you don’t know that you know them until you have seen them again.

How 'bout triple-back? :slight_smile: Though jonesjack doesn’t count - he’s a Pom, after all! :)~