Starting over. Your experience with LingQ?

Does that work better now? I tried it a few times in the past and letters like öäüß broke and inserted a bunch of garbage data into the .xls.

Maybe better said, how do you export LingQ to Anki?

Hi, Toby!

Unfortunately, I haven’t tested it with LingQ ver 5.0 so far. So if the developers have changed something here, I have no clue.

However, I didn´t have any problems exporting LingQs to Anki in ver 4.0: it worked like a charm with French, Spanish, Portuguese, and English (even the special characters such as ñ , ç, etc. were correctly represented).

Usually, you go to “vocabulary” - “more actions” (or a similiar command: my user interface language is Br. Port.) and then you can export “all” LingQs to Anki.

In the past, I could also select a subset of phrases and export it to Anki. I´m not sure, but maybe this option no longer exists in ver 5.0 :frowning:

Hi xxdb,

Benny Lewis is a bit of a “controversial” figure in the language learning community. However, after following Benny and his partner Shannon for many years, I’ve come to the conclusion that many of their language learning tips are pretty good.

Benny has just published his new book “Language Hacking Mandarin”:

You may find some tips in it that you can combine with the “warm-up” approaches mentioned above.

Good luck,
Peter

Giving it another try. I do see the ability to export both a subset of LingQs and Phrases to Anki so that looks unchanged.

“> How would you define “high volume” Peter?
Ca. 8-10k words read / listened to in 2 Pomodoro blocks à 25 min (with a 3-4 min break between them).
If learners maintain this rhythm 6 days a week, they will absorb ca. 48-60k words in one week.”

Anyone, who can read that much in 25 minutes is clearly advanced. I looked at your Japanese stats and doubt you can pull this off in Japanese. I am not criticising your general approach, but once you get to the level of 50K+ words, Anki becomes irrelevant anyway.

Hi, Jan!

Just to clarify a few points here:

1. The stats at the moment refer mainly to learners with a background in English, German, etc. who learn other Germanic / Romance languages.

And in this case the stats are more or less plausible for intermediate learners (B1 upwards).

You definitely don´t have to be advanced to use an ultrareading approach. On the contrary, you use this approach to become advanced in a more efficient way! :slight_smile:

(Note: in my experience the advanced level in the Germanic / Romance languages starts at ca. 2.5 - 3 million words read = ca. 60-70k words known on LingQ)

1. For more distant Indo-European languages (let’s say someone with German or English as L1 who wants to learn Russian), I’d say you’ve got to double the time (1 year → 2 years) and read more (ca. 3-4 million words read).
    However, the underlying principles remain the same.

2. Learners with a background in Romance / Germanic languages should probably triple (or even quadruple) the time for learning non-Indo-European languages (e.g. Arabic, Japanese, etc.) and also aim for ca. 3-4 million words read / listened to (assuming they want to reach an advanced level).

It would be great to have more detailed stats for non-Indo-European languages available, but, unfortunately, that’s not the case right now.

1. My stats in Japanese on LingQ
    They are neither realistic nor up-to-date because most of my learning in Japanese happens / happened outside of LingQ.
    At the moment, I’m using Assimil (again), Michel Thomas (again), JapanesePod101, and the audio / texts by Roger Lake.

Besides, I’ve played around with various approaches in Japanese so the learning process was neither straightforward nor systematic:

• Assimil without much additional grammar
  • Assimil with more focus on grammar (Michel Thomas)
  • Listening-only without any reading (for more than 1 year)
  • Learning Hiragana, Katagana, and Kanji for weeks on end (on Memrise, etc.)
  • Listening-while-reading (with and beyond LingQ)
    So in about 2.5 years of learning Japanese, I´ve experimented constantly and switched approaches various times (this includes deleting my LingQ Japanese language slot more than a year ago to start over - after I had already read ca. 4k words on LingQ).

“doubt you can pull this off in Japanese.”
I´ve stated multiple times in various threads that the ultrareading approach isn’t intended for the beginning stages A1 - A2 (see the comment section below for “warm up approaches”).
And A2 is still my level in Japanese… :slight_smile:

But “reading-while-listening” is also one of the best approaches at an A1 and A2 level - even at a slower pace.
Thus, the basic ideas remain intact:

• Timeboxing: 2 Pomodoro blocks (or more if learners follow a mass immersion approach à la “refold”).
  • Reading-while-listening (+ more light grammar approaches à la Michel Thomas, etc. for more distant Indo-European languages and non-Indo-European languages - provided in this context that the learner has a Germanic / Romance language background).
  • additional listening during the rest of the day (30 min or more) plus some short additional speaking / writing exercises (listening diaries, etc.).

In short, the basic principles can be applied to all languages that have a writing system (otherwise, reading / ultrareading isn´t an option).

Reg. the question if “ultrareading-while-listening” can be applied to non-Indo-European languages:
Why not?
It’ll take more time to get used to, but that´s all. However, I’d expect that “ultra” and “fast-paced” are “less ultra / fast-paced” than in the not-so-distant Indo-European languages :slight_smile:

“to the level of 50K+ words, Anki becomes irrelevant anyway”
It depends.
You can still use a traditional SRS such as Anki to

• test yourself (via the LingQ-to-Anki-export function mentioned above)
  • focus on specialized grammar structures (e.g. the subjunctive in Romance languages)
  • focus on less frequent collocations
  • use it for conjugation drills for irregular verbs

In all those use cases, Anki can still be a useful tool. But I agree with Toby and others, it´s not indispensable :slight_smile:

Schönen Tag
Peter

I usually drop anki once I can understand TV shows without assistance and then just work with native material. For me that’s around 10,000-12,000 headwords which I guess in the case of lingQ is somewhere around 25,000-30,000 words in lingQ.

Maybe these detailed stats on ultrareading from Toby aka @noxialisrex are interesting for some of you guys:
https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=F5A1A955D66035DF!10648&ithint=file%2Cxlsx&authkey=!AMHRCawfAoVoEE4

I have the link on my profile as well. If it dies people can let me know, and I will make a new one.

I think most things should be pretty easy to understand, but if anyone has any questions I can certainly answer them :).

Great, Toby!

BTW, if some of you guys find those stats a bit “overwhelming”, then simply focus on 1 - 2 Pomodoro blocks a day - and you´ll be doing fine in the long run.
In short: “trust the process!” :slight_smile:

1 - 2 Pomodoro blocks per day would correlate to one of the L2’s that I study and that is absolutely enough to make a large amount of progress in an L2 that is similar to ones native language.

I was in the unique position of being locked at home during a pandemic for a year to enable a lot of this, and now have opportunities to use every language “in my real” life daily/weekly basis.

I would even go so far to say that

• adult busy bees
  • kids at school
  • students at college / university
    who practice “ultrareading-while-listening” for only 15 min a day - as a “minimal effective dose” - will still make a lot of progress in their L2s in a year because that´s ca.
  • 2400 words read / listened to in 15 min a day
  • 14400 words read / listened to in 6 days a week
  • 748800 words read / listened to in a year

Even at this slow pace, they could reach a B2-C1 / C1 level in reading and listening comprehension in about 3.5 years (at least for L2s that aren´t too distant from their L1 / the L2s they already know).