Spanish Interview in 4 months

So because I work for an international company one of our bases is within Spain and from time to time we have to deal with Spanish customers, I had mentioned to my manager that I do speak Spanish ( not fluently of course ) and have said that I would like to help out or Spanish team but an interview would be involved to see how good my Spanish actually is the problem I have is that my listening is awful but I do feel like that since I have been watching kids programs on Netflix with Spanish subtitles and audio that I have ever so slightly improved.

( i try do this for 1 hour minimum a day )

I only have about 50 hours listening time and I feel like before this interview I am going to need another 100 minimum added.

oh and on a side note has anyone else noticed that with Spanish audio and subtitles on Netflix the audio and subtitles do not always match up or is this just me?

any advise for this would be great.

Don’t get misled by your experience trying to understand media. Face to face conversation (including videoconference) is a wholly different beast. It’s in fact much easier to understand someone actively interested in you understanding them.
My advice would be: stick to your current routine: the more words you know, the easiser it’ll be and listening to media content will surely help but try to speak with natives as much as you can: consider italki and keep attending language exchange events (just stay away from cute girls, for now). With your current vocabulary level (which, of course, will be much larger in 4 months’ time) plus some conversation practice I’m convinced you’ll do way better than you expect

Agreed. There is still a ways to go. The interview might just be to ascertain how good (or how awful) you are, so they can have you doing the right thing. Most likely though, in my opinion, helping out the Spanish team might serve to keep you motivated, but your ability to contribute might not rather limited.

Going forward, I’m with ftornay.

As for the Netflix issue, audio and subtitles in any languages are never absolutely perfect. When the audio and subtitles are in different languages (say English audio and Spanish subs), they were even less perfect. However, I have noticed that, at least in the shows I have watched, the Spanish audio and Spanish subtitles match up rather well.

well the interview is going to be over the phone as I live in England, I am quite lucky as I do talk to a native spanish speaker from spain who I pretty much speak with every single day this included voice notes back and forth and also a lot of texts between each other. Thanks for the advise!

I completely agree with you that listening to the news is a completely different beast than conversing. The news, you can passively understand the context and not worry about active recall. I found making conversation is both hard and easier at the same time. It’s easy in the sense that I found day to day conversation has less complex words and syntax, but you have to be more attentive!

Yes, I agree. As an overall activity it’s harder because it shows when you don’t understand plus you must actively use the language. However, the comprehension part is actually easier. Not only because vocabulary tends to be more predictable but because you can anticipate what the conversation will be about and you have some degree of control over what is discussed.
My point is that OP’s current level of listening comprehension as measured by his understanding of media content actually underestimates his capacity to understand a conversation in which he’s taking part

Btw, I advise the OP to have a look at this video by Anthony Lauder and the method and the book he refers to:

The video’s named “How to Improve Your Foreign Language Immediately”. That, of course, is not true in the sense of really learning the language: there are no shortcuts, but it does give interesting tips for maximizing your capacity to participate in a conversation given your current overall level in the language.
I actually found an online version of the book (I tend to buy books but this one’s ridiculously overpriced). The book’s short and it does not add a whole lot to the video content because the main ideas are clear enough but I found it worth reading