Since I’m reading the memoirs and the adventures of Sherlock Holmes, I decided to import the text (WIkisource) and the audio (Librivox) into LingQ. I chose the ones who had the best narration and sound quality.
Here are the links to the collections:
That is great, thanks.
If you have the time to help us with more Italian content that would also be wonderful.Every little bit helps.
Sherlock Holmes? Youpi!!!
I found in “Newsletter of January 2010” this information about my favorite detective. Thank you for all Sherlock Holmes that I found into LingQ. I hope you will be put many others stories of this famous detective.
You will learn English and/or French with Sherlock Holmes?
He exist a very good edition of all stories of Sherlock Holmes in a bilingual edition at Omnibus Editor (3 tomes):
You have in the left page of the book, the original English Edition, and in the right page, the new traduction in French. You have also the original illustration of Sidney Paget from the “Strand Magazine”.
The best video of Sherlock Holmes is probably this SerieTV with the actor Jeremy Brett: “Sherlock Holmes serie Granada”:
Homepage of this big site about Sherlock Holmes (in French): http://www.sshf.com/
The version of DVD from Europe is in English and French (audio and subtitles), and you can buy it at http://www.amazon.fr or http://www.fnac.com
But beware! This version of DVD not work in North America! Because the Video Standard of Europe is PAL (NTSC in North America) and the Region Zone in Europe is 2 (Region Zone 1 in North America).
But you can use this strategy for play a DVD from Europe in North America:
– Find a DVD player than can play and read the two Standard Video, PAL and NTSC.
– The DVD Player from the company PHILIPS normally can play and read this two Standard Video.
– You can find a cheap model of PHILIPS at any Wal-Mart.
– Take a note of the model’s number available at your store, and return at home.
– The DVD PAL can be read by a model of PHILIPS, but you will be need to “unlock” the Region Code of the DVD Player.
– This is because all model in North America play only the DVD from Region Zone 1, and you will need to read a DVD from Region Zone 2.
– Check for this model available in the store (Wal-Mart) and put this model’s number in this web site:
– DVD Player and Blu-ray Player region codes - VideoHelp
– And check if you can find a “Region Code hack” for your DVD player.
– With a DVD player of PHILIPS, you just need to type a number with the remote control of DVD player in the menu that indicated by the procedure.
– With this procedure, change the Region Zone 1, to ALL REGION (Region Zone 0).
Now you can play your DVD from Europe (PAL, Zone 2) in a new cheap model of DVD Player from PHILIPS with an output HDMI (with a upscale to 1080p) for the new Television HD (High Definition). This method is very useful for any immigrant who want to use his collection of DVD from Europe.
If you have a problem (moral) with this method (hacking):
- You buy a legal DVD at Amazon.fr or Fnac.com
- You buy a legal DVD Player PHILIPS in a legal Wal-Mart
- You put a number that you find on Internet for change the configuration of the DVD player with the remote control.
- And you can use your collection of DVD that you pay with legality in Europe at your new home in North America.
Other benefit with DVD from Europe:
- Check each DVD of Series or Film in Europe. You have many languages Audio, and many many Subtitles in different language.
- In North America for the same Series or Film, you have, often, just English audio with only “Close Caption” in English.
The stories of Sherlock Holmes is to spend the late nineteenth century. It should however be noted that the world where there are investigations of the detective is no longer ours and that many points beyond us.
There is a dictionary (especially on Sherlock Holmes) that gives us all the information about weapons, places, characters, real or fictitious, and that criminals and fraudsters. There is also a list of adventures that were brought on stage and screen with the names of performers and a short biographical note. A bunch of index completes this book (in French) very comprehensive.
The book in French call this:
Title: Dictionnaire Sherlock Holmes
author: Lucien-Jean Bord
Editor: le cherche midi