Some badges seem to be broken/unattainable

I must admit, I’m a bit of an achievement/trophy hound, so when I saw LingQ had badges, I was determined to collect as many as possible in as short a time as possible. But as I’ve been working on this, it struck me that a few of the badges are either unattainable for the vast majority of people, or they appear to be bugged (or maybe I’m doing something wrong). Could someone explain to me what the deal is with the following badges (from top to bottom):

1. First Flag (flagged a post). This doesn’t seem to work. I legitimately (i.e. not just for the badge) flagged a post yesterday, but it didn’t result in a badge dropping. Is it that it only results in a badge dropping if the flagged post is removed?

2. First Onebox (posted a link that was oneboxed). What is a “Onebox”? I’ve tried posting links, but none of them have been “oneboxed” (whatever that is).

3. First Reply by Email (replied to a post via email). I replied at least once by email, but the message didn’t get through, and the badge didn’t drop.

4. New User of the Month (outstanding contributions in their first month). It seems to me that the vast majority of users won’t get one of these, as it takes some time to get acquainted with the system, so it’s unlikely most users will have their act together in time to get this badge. Wouldn’t it be better to make the badge more easily attainable - e.g. have it simply be “User of the Month” and award the badge to any user who makes an outstanding contribution at any time - i.e. not only in the first month?

5. Wiki Editor (first wiki edit). I don’t see a Wiki anywhere, so I see no way to edit one. Only one person has this badge. Is this no longer a thing?

Here’s a link to all the badges: https://forum.lingq.com/badges
Click on any badge for a more detailed description/explanation.
The tutorial for the forum is something that happens when you first join the forum. I remember it (if you decide not to do it, you might have lost your chance? I don’t see a link to it anywhere. I did see an old post that suggested clearing browser cookies; might be a bad idea?
Or try this link? https://forum.lingq.com/t/greetings/72527 and talk to the chatbot. I think that’s the “tutorial.”) I don’t remember an advanced tutorial, but maybe there is one somewhere.

1 Like

Thanks. I just found the tutorial and the advanced tutorial, so I went ahead and did those.

The ones that kinda bug me are the ones that I’m pretty sure I met the requirements for but didn’t get: First Onebox, First Flag, and First Reply by Email.

Also, where is the “Wiki”? The badge info doesn’t say.

First off, this should help: Understanding Discourse Trust Levels
It explains a little about what this forum is and some of the generic assumptions and the idea of unattainable badges starts to make sense. For one thing, if I’m reading the page correctly, this LingQ forum is actually (hosted on?) something called Discourse. Also, maybe people with higher trust levels can turn their post into a wiki that others with high trust levels can help edit. Not sure whether that applies to this particular forum or just to Discourse forums that choose to enable that feature.
(Is there another wiki, anyone?)

Anyway, as your “trust level” goes up, the number of likes you can award also goes up.

1 Like

@Pr0metheus keep in mind that this forum in another platform that LingQ is using. This forum is not developed by LingQ, but they have probably tweaked it to fit this community purpose. However, some badges could exist because the platform created them but LingQ is not using them.
I haven’t wasted much time in understanding them all.

2 Likes

Time spent doing things we enjoy is never wasted. :grinning:

But I don’t want to waste too much time doing it either, which is why I’m posting this to the support forum in the hope that someone (a moderator or a user who has spent the time to figure it all out) can tell me.