Small Complaints/Questions

Hey everyone! I’m a relatively new user of LingQ so I apologize if any of these topics have been touched on before.

I am an upper-intermediate Spanish learner and whenever I load up a new lesson, I am faced with a huge sea of blue underlined words. This is rather annoying as I already know 98% of the words in any given lesson, but Ive fixed this by simply clicking “I know all” and then just highlighting the new words as I come to them.

Now, one of the things I don’t like about LingQ is that whenever I highlight a new word, the first thing that is shown to me is this little box where I click “new hint” or “known”. As a relatively advanced learner, 99% of the words I click on do not have any “hints” offered at all. Even if a hint is offered, I would be more content with just seeing the Wordreference dictionary definition straight away. In other words, whenever I highlight a new word, I would prefer to just be LINKED IMMEDIATELY to wordreference. Picky, I know… but it would save me lots of time. Is there any way to do this?

Also, I’ve noticed that whenever I highlight a word, it only places the 4 words proceeding and the 4 words following in the “phrase” box. Is there any way I can get it to give me the entire sentence, instead of just the 4 words proceeding and following the word I clicked on? It seems to me that it would be easier to shave words off than to add extra words on when I create my sample sentence.

We can design LingQ to suit every learner. I suggest you try the following.

Google to find a list the most common 5000 words of Spanish and import them. Click on I Know All. This should remove a alot of blue words.

Use the QuickLingQ view. Ignore the user hints. Set your default dictionary to wordreference and use it.

We limit the length of the captured phrase because some sentences, especially in conversational content, can be very long. I prefer the shorter phrases but I knownthat some learners prefer longer sentences. Again we cannot please everyone.

Sorry. I hope you find mostnof whae we have to be useful.

The above typed on my iPad, regret typos.

Cannot design to suit everyone is what I meant.

Hi Ringer, you pointed out things that I’ve already noticed. And I would prefer to have another solution too.

For students who know a lot of words when they came to LingQ is clicking “I know all” and then LingQing the unknown words a good solution.

I also would prefer not to see the user hints because I always create my own hints. Point 1: I don’t trust other users. I often saw hints that miss important meanings or they were wrong. Point 2: I usually add the basic form of the word to the hint, and the word form (n. adv. v. adj. etc.) It would be nice if there were an option that would suggest the dictionary definition as the LingQ. But I think to do this would be quite difficult. It is a bit annoying to copy&past the user hint.

To have a complete sentence is something that I wish to have since a long, long time! It disturbs me a lot to have always to correct the sample sentence. Very time consuming!

As Steve explained it is difficult to suit all users’ interests. I understand this. But LingQ should think about the last point especially.

Different people use LingQ in different ways. In my own case

1. I always use the user hints if they are available. If not I go to the dictionary. I do not expect the dictionary or the user hints to tell me what a word means. It is only a hint. Only in due course, after seeing the word highlighted in many different contexts will I know the scope of meaning of the word. The user hints have the advantage of giving me almost instantly an indication of possible meaning, allowing me to go back to the lessons as soon as possible.

2. The gradual process of changing blue words into white and gold words, is one of the visual indicators of our progress in learning the language.

3. I am quite happy with the short phrase, which I often edit and shorten. I also regularly search for other example phrases to help me get a sense of the word. These short phrases usually remind of where I first came across them.

We do have on our todo list, enabling the drilling through to the sentence, but it is an improvement that is not near the top or our list right now.