Russian word order?

After a bit of a lay off, I’m getting back into German soon. Then once I make my next breakthrough, I may add some Russian for a bit of diversity.

My question is, I read recently that word order/syntax doesn’t matter in Russian, and that you could just use the English word order and it will be correct. Reason being the way the words end gives the meaning instead.

How true is this? If the syntax really isn’t that strict, it could be a massive incentive for me to learn it.

Word order matters, and the meaning of sentence often changes depending on word order.

Steve I didn’t mean it in the sense that the words could be random. I mean it in the context of subject object verb or subject verb object or variations of that.

In Russian you can at times vary the order in so far as s-v-o is concerned, and often the change in word order affects the meaning or at least the emphasis. But is best to hear from a native speaker on this.

It’s a bit of both…
The order of words still matters because not all grammatical functions in Russian are expressed by an ending. Accusatives are generally quite close to the verb, though it’s not always as tight as in English or French…
But you can understand the logic way more easily than others.

I learn Hungarian and here the order of words is way more loose… In their grammar absolutely all grammar functions are related to an ending and so you can find very weird constructions… It’s difficult to anticipate the order of words, it makes the comprehension even more difficult… This is the reason why IMO latin languages are quite easy to pick up because constructions usually follow stronger rules, and so with time your brain assimilate the concept of the language and you easily anticipate how somebody is gonna say something.

I think Russian is half way between Germanic languages and more Asian-oriented languages. It has aspects of both.

Sometimes unstrict word order in Russian makes difficult to understand even simple sentences.
Recently there was a funny discussion between my coworkers. It was something like:
— Oracle купил Sun (This can mean both “Oracle bought Sun” and “Sun bought Oracle”. In fact we were discussing some Russian companies)
— Ты имеешь ввиду “ORACLE купил Sun” или “Oracle купил SUN”? (Both sentences still have two meanings each :slight_smile: “It was Oracle who bought Sun” / “Sun bought Oracle” [Sun chose from several other opportunities; or perhaps the other person thought that Sun bought Apple, and you corrects him] and “Oracle bought Sun” [see previous comment] / “It was Sun who bought Oracle”)
— Я имею ввиду “Sun был выкуплен Oracle”

it’s no matter in some case, sometimes it change the meaning though.
I suggest you read this article - “http://shkola.lv/index.php?mode=cht&chtid=657&subid=121

Don’t bother about it. A lot of natives do mistakes in word order using (in written mostly), forget about it and enjoy the language. Just in case you don’t understand some specific issue it’s important, then you’re welcome with examples. But don’t think all the time about it :sunglasses:

In cases where foreign nouns could cause confusion, I wonder why you don’t put an “a” on the end of the object as you would in Russian? eg Oracle купил Sunа? Оракля кыпил Сун?

In fact we were discussing abbreviates like “МРC купил БМНТ”

In Oracle-Sun case, it is quite easy to make sure that everyone understand you, adding “компания/корпорация”:

Компания Oracle купила компанию Sun.
Корпорация Oracle купила корпорацию Sun.

But when you speak about banks,. for example, this method does not work:
АКБ купил КУБ. КУБ купил АКБ.
Банк АКБ купил банк КУБ. Банк КУБ купил банк АКБ.