Russian (slavic) cases: Can they be conquered by mere language mortals?

Or you could switch to Bulgarian instead :stuck_out_tongue:
Just as Slavic as the other Slavic languages, but its ancient case system has almost entirely withered away.

My german friends take vacations to bulgaria because it is the cheapest place to do anything in europe.

You can still restart German without cancellation of Russian.

It has a hell of a verb system though.

and a bunch of Turkish words.

16 tenses?! I shall have had to have been thinking about that a while before I grasp what tenses you mean. ;->

Godwin’s Law has been fulfilled!

Edit: Not Poe’s, I meant Godwin’s.

ehhh, I think it’s a bit of a wash. German has other quirks like absolutely random gender articles and SOV sentence structure… I think their grammars are both difficult… As a language Russian is a bit more difficult overall because the slavic pronunciation is all new and not as many familiar words.

One of my favorite quotes about language learning: There is no such thing as a free lunch. If something seems really easy, something else will get you.

The only exception is if your native language has a family member such as Russian/Ukranian, Spanish/Portuguese.

English has no such relative. We are the bastard child of german and latin languages… we have no friends.

…what about Dutch?

ohhh Dutch is a whole 'nother can of bees. Don’t get me started…

Okay. Not getting you started. French would be a close second to Dutch.

As a Bulgarian, I think that my language is probably the easiest for English speakers to learn from the Slavic languages. The verb tenses (which are 12-14) are nearly identical to those in English, it has a very rigid grammar structure with few exceptions, no cases, articles (the only Slavic language to have them), and how you spell it is how you pronounce it, most of the time. Only tricky thing is remembering all the pronouns and every word’s stress pattern, which is individual…

Yes, but as Steve would say, it’s not a slam dunk.

There are so many words in french that are nearly the same or very similar so adding words for reading or lingqing is a breeze. T

he main problem is the pronunciation. It didn’t bother me at all: I picked it up quickly (also having spent several months in France in my early teens helped)… but some people really, really struggle with the pronunciation. It just depends on the person.

Also, i don’t recommend going to college in France as my friend did. She wrote in her masters thesis in french as a german native speaker and she complained that the professors were being particularly rough on her about proper french grammar… so mastering the grammar to an academic or professional standard looks to be pretty rough

You’re probably right but “the easiest” has the be one with the most resources. Polish and Russian win in my mind.

Easiest does not necessarily mean most accessible, sadly.

…it kinda does though. sad!

Yes well I’m doing my bachelor in English and when we write essays I notice how my written English is not up to my Ontarian and American classmates’ level. I’m still a Frenchie.

There is a difference between fluent and writing a thesis.

True for the pronunciation. In France it’s really…intense how they speak.

It depends on the person. Some people are resourceful, know their way around the internet, and can find stuff.

unfortunately, I am not one of those people…

frisian is probaly the closest relative to english then dutch but frisian is only spoken in the north of netherlands in friesland