RhinoSpike recorded language exchange

I was approached by the developers of RhinoSpike to see if their new service could be useful for LingQers.

They offer a clearing house for recordings. I am learning Russian, so I can put up Russian texts for a native speaker to record for me. I should also record texts in English. My recordings move up in the queue based on how many English recordings I do.

I joined (it is free) and posted some Russian text from our Forum. I am waiting to see what happens.

Have a look and let me know what you think.

http://rhinospike.com/

Hmm… great service! :slight_smile: I have recorded the article for you, Steve.

Thanks Niksa. I have added it to the Library.

In future I think the person who does the recording should upload the content to the library and earn the points. I owe you a recording. Please send me something you would like recorded. I would like to see how the recording end of this works.

Anyone else out there want to try it. Comments please.

I agree with Nikolay, it’s a great service. I will definitely participate as soon as I get my new mic.
(I have some Japanese texts that I would like to have recorded)

I wonder if there would be any interest in having texts translate and recorded. In other words we could write some sentences that contain things that we have trouble saying, and then get a translation and recording. Just a thought. In any case I am sure Rhino is busy just getting this present model up and running successfully. Anyway, good for them.

I’m available for recording Italian texts

Hi Steve, I haven’t tried the service yet, but the recording service was one of the things which I wanted to talk about at our next conversation. (What a coincidence!)
I’ve been thinking of some text recording service among LingQ members as the variety of our members’ native languages is very valuable.

Someone has a news article that does not come with an audio, or other want their corrected writing recorded. (Both apply to me, actually.) When you know some tutors already, then you might want request a specific person to record the audio, just like the writing correction. For example, I might want to have my writing recorded by a female if I am thinking of imitating her later.

Hi Steve, I haven’t tried the service yet, but the recording service was one of the things which I wanted to talk about at our next conversation. (What a coincidence!)
I’ve been thinking of some text recording service among LingQ members as the variety of our members’ native languages is very valuable.

Someone has a news article that does not come with an audio, or other want their corrected writing recorded. (Both apply to me, actually.) When you know some tutors already, then you might want request a specific person to record the audio, just like the writing correction. For example, I might want to have my writing recorded by a female if I am thinking of imitating her later.

Someone has asked me to do exactly this for their English writing. I have joined Rhinospike and will try it out.

Someone has to submit the text first. I wonder if you can both submit a text and record it. You will also attract other recordings.

I guess the question is whether we use Rhinospike or do this directly by contacting each other in our community.

Advantages of using Rhino might be convenience, attracting more recordings, possible attracting learners to LingQ by joining forces with another community. We can alert each other on our Walls or on the Forum if we want a specific person to record things for us.

I expect people would be happy to get the same piece of text recorded in different regional accents! It seems like good synergy for both LingQ and rhinospike members.

I like it… It’s a good idea, let’s how long though before someone notices that we can upload copyrighted material up there…

I could really do with having a recorded version of the whole of War and Peace in Russian. The text is out of copyright, so as long as all Rhinospike recordings are public domain there shouldn’t be any legal problems…Rasana you could give your new microphone a really thorough test :wink:

Helen, I have a copy of War and Peace 4 disks, each 17 - 20 hours long, by Ardis Books. Excellent. http://www.ardisbook.ru/akniga.html

I think Rasana would have to quit her job to match this.

Steve, is it an abridged War and Peace? I guess it must be at least twice as long. I guess just Anna Karenina is around 20 hours long.

Helen, I admire and share your interest to Tolstoi. Strangely, but when I was a boy I had a feeling that Tolstoi must be, so to say, an author of a strong “gender preference”. (Similarly, IMO, Hemingway).I mean, there are so many pages in Tolstoi’s books that reveal the author being a male, with his interest in politics, philosophy, the historical events (in bull fighting or hunting, and, again, a war - with Hemingway) And even Tolstoi’s views on women are certainly of a man :). My mother and many Russian girls would tell you that, when they were obliged to read War and Peace at school, the would tolerate the Peace (Love) but skip the War.

Ilya 4 disks each about 17-20 hours long = total of 80 hours or so!!! The complete book.

Woah Steve, you can totally read Russian websites better than I can!

Yes, sorry, Steve, I missed you mentioning “each”. Poor Helen.

I have just been on it and signed in as “vankrot”. I left a little wikipedia article in Turkish, hopefully someone will record that for me. But I don’t think it will happen quickly, unless I pitch in and record a few things in English. This is of course quite fair:)
However, I’ve never made an audio recording, I’ve used my microphone to talk on skype and that’s it :slight_smile: It can’t be rocket science, can anyone explain what to do?

Best wishes

Dan

No worries, I figured it out, my voice doesn’t sound as rotten as I thought it might:))