Returning to learning japanese, give me suggestions please

My original message wasn’t send complete, sorry.

I took some curses like 5 years ago and left them because I couldn’t agree with my last teacher point of view about the courses (He was kind of the only teacher left in the institute even now so returning is not an option) and because I started French and it became more relevant at that point.

Some weeks ago I found my old notebooks and I noticed that I lost most of my Japanese, I can’t understand most of my notes and that is frustrating so I decided not to start a new language but to restart Japanese.

I do understand Hiragana and Katakana, I remember most of the grammar but my vocabulary and my Kanji knowledge Is almost gone. So I’m a little lost if I should focus in vocabulary and leave out Kanji or maybe restart Kanji and get vocabulary according to my progress in them. I mean, I feel like starting over but is not the case and I can’t do like in other languages that I just force myself to read because reading without Kanji is hell.

So that’s why I’m searching for some tips on how to approach that problem. My level was basic, so it’s reasonable I forgot that much.

Tell us more about you.

1 Like

Well my message was sent incomplete, I didn’t notice. I took some curses like 5 years ago and left them because I couldn’t agree with my last teacher point of view about the courses (He was kind of the only teacher left in the institute even now so returning is not an option) and because I started French and it became more relevant at that point.

Some weeks ago I found my old notebooks and I noticed that I lost most of my Japanese, I can’t understand most of my notes and that is frustrating so I decided not to start a new language but to restart Japanese.

I do understand Hiragana and Katakana, I remember most of the grammar but my vocabulary and my Kanji knowledge Is almost gone. So I’m a little lost if I should focus in vocabulary and leave out Kanji or maybe restart Kanji and get vocabulary according to my progress in them. I mean, I feel like starting over but is not the case and I can’t do like in other languages that I just force myself to read because reading without Kanji is hell.

So that’s why I’m searching for some tips on how to approach that problem.My level was basic, so it’s reasonable I forgot that much.

Reading is the best way to learn vocabulary and usefull kanji. Start easy. Go step by step. What you learned before will easily come back.