Request for Feedback on LingQ Interface Translations

We are working to improve our user interface translations.

Software translation can be a bit tricky because there are many buttons that need to be translated but it can be difficult for the translator to understand the context the word(s) is used in.

Let us know your thoughts about how well LingQ is translated. The more specific your feedback, the better.

What language do you use LingQ in? Which platform do you use it on (Web / Android / iOS)?

Are their any unclear buttons or sentences? Do you see untranslated text (in other words text that is still in English)? If you’ve noticed any errors, here is a great place to mention them so that we can get them fixed as quickly as possible.

3 Likes

Not sure if this involve all translations everywhere, or where you want us to focus our attention, but in any case, for now, a couple of things come to my mind.

One thing I personally don’t like is that when I hover the mouse over lessons and courses, their titles get translated in English. I’d like to have the option to stay within the language I study. It’s an automatic reflex to hover the mouse over those titles when I read them or focus on them, and I need to move the mouse away all the time to avoid that change. Not the biggest problem, but just a bit annoying.

Another thing I have noticed lately, but that I didn’t notice before, it is that sometimes sentences are not translated in my native language but in English. Or just a part of a sentence is translated in Italian and some words stay in English. It is a bit weird because I have never noticed this before.

Unfortunately I don’t have a pattern for you as I often move randomly from one language to another, or from the computer to iOS.

Studied languages: DE - EN - FR - ES
Translation in: IT
Interface used: Web - iOS

1 Like

I, for one, appreciate that it translates titles into English when I hover over the title. Titles sometimes have unfamiliar words (especially in Greek, but also in Ukrainian sometimes), so it is helpful to quickly know what the article or lesson is about so that I can quickly find one I want to read or listen to.

Separate thought and totally unrelated to your question @nsprung: is there any plan to add a button or something to the library view on the web so that it only displays content native to the website, as opposed to youtube videos or news articles we can import? I know some languages have comparatively little native LingQ content compared to, say, Russian or Spanish, but it would still be nice to be able to only see stuff that is native to the site.

1 Like

It just occurred to me that I can change the browser language to match the language I’m learning. Gonna try it.

1 Like

I agree that there are people that do, I remember this discussion when this feature was added, that’s why I suggested to have the option to choose, instead of forcing these automatic translations.

Btw, my interface of the software is in English, but my native language isn’t. I suppose those automatic translations are tight to the UI choice, but this doesn’t mean it would be convenient for every user, and for different UI/native speakers situations.

It would be a lot easier to have a simple option like: “Choose the language for automatic titles translations”, with choices as: none or all other languages available. Problem solved.

1 Like

@Caldazar If you want to search for only Shared content (not External lessons), you can open the search page and then set the filter to Shared only. At the moment you can’t set such a filter in the main Library page itself.

1 Like

@davideroccato

Thanks for your response. Regarding translating content titltes on hover, we can take this into consideration although at the moment we think it’s best for beginners to be able to quickly understand a course or lesson title.

2 Likes

In the German (web) version:
Intermediate ist translated as ‘Fortgeschrittene Anfänger’ [literally: advanced beginner].
This is not wrong but there is a German word for intermediate: Mittelstufe

3 Likes