Reliably Understandable Youtube Content

Hi all,

I’m not looking for any specific videos here, but I’m wondering if you have any default/go-to searches on Youtube that reliably deliver understandable content. I’ve found that most content on the subject of spirituality, well-being and meditation is delivered in a clear, gentle and slow voice.

When I was learning Spanish, I spent a lot of time watching cartoons, assuming they would be easy to understand. They’re not, even now that I have a pretty good grasp of the language. Nor do I find them particularly enjoyable.

Any suggestions welcome. I look forward to reading them. :slight_smile:

I’m a big fun on video tutorials about physical activities that you’re interested in. My favorites are skating/skiing/paddling technique videos. Simple repair/handy work may work as well. Anything in which something clearly visible is explained as it is demonstrated. If you know about the topic you’ll be expecting some particular vocabulary, which makes comprehension easier. Often that vocabulary would relate to movement, which is a very useful vocabulary to master

Dancing is another good example if you’re into it. It’s also a content that I personally enjoy

For Italian, I search for “meditazione guidata” (guided meditation). Once I watched one of the guided meditations in Italian, then YouTube started recommending similar materials in Italian. So, do the YouTube search in your target language. Also, I use YouTube primarily for Italian language content, so YouTube gives me a lot of recommendations for Italian language content related to my interests. Most of it is still too advanced for me, but the guided meditations are easier. I also watch some of the Italian language learning videos for Intermediate learners, where it is all in Italian, but they are speaking more slowly and clearly. And then there are the BookBox videos for children, with subtitles in Italian.

Something I do from time to time is watch native Spanish people teach English. I obviously ignore most of the English but there’s a lot of explanation using grammatical terminology (which can be helpful), and if you’re a native speaker of the language being taught it’s quite interesting to get a perspective on how your language is viewed/analysed/interpreted by someone who speaks your target language. Also, you often get the equivalent word/phrase in that language. It’s kind of a reverse way of learning Spanish (in my case), and can even be quite funny at times. It’s quite often slow, clear speech too, and the topic is something you’re an expert at so it’s very easy to follow… Just an idea.

Some excellent suggestions. Thanks!

I’ll definitely look into language videos teaching my native language. I might even learn something new! Repair/handy work is also a great suggestion as I find these quite relaxing even in my own language. Guided meditation is a classic - always so calm and slow. Also, I find that spiritual gurus talking about meditation or anything spiritual can be very clear and understandable.

Thanks guys!

@CPK I think that the answer will depend on which language level you current are at. my usual sequence is:

1. audiobooks with word lists - there are tons of those, I listen to them while driving or walking my dogs
  2. graded audiobooks, which I only go over after reading the book in lingq - for German I like Andre Klein’s books (in audible), there is a bunch for French
  3. technical audiobooks (non-fiction for whatever you might like, for me its history, economy, etc) where I start by listening to the book in English (or a language you master, although it is easier to find them in English) first for 5 min, and only then go to the book in the target language. you literally have to listen to the audiobook twice, but it definitely pays off. of course you have to select audiobooks that have versions in both languages. once my vocabulary and ability to recognize chunks of words is good enough, then I drop the listening in English
  4. fiction audibooks, following the same sequence I described for technical ones. Fiction almost invariably has a much richer vocabulary, and so it’s kind of the ultimate challenge.

one additional tip is to keep google translate open on your cell and then use voice recognition for the expressions you don’t know or that you want to use later, and then start them to review them later. I think the key here is to focus on expressions (lexical items) rather than words, something I recently learned by reading this great book: http://tinyw.in/CTai