Recording word lists

I am interested in doing the following experiment.

If I create a list in the Vocabulary section and choose “print”, I get a list of words and phrases which are easy to copy and paste into an email or other file.

I would be interested in having some of my Russian lists recorded by native speakers of Russian. It is useful for both pronunciation, vocabulary practice, and to ingrain certain usage patterns to sometimes listen to these lists, as long as the sound quality is good.

If someone sends me a list of words and phrases from their English vocabulary section in LingQ, I would be willing to record the list.

Are others willing to do this? Can we initiate an exchange of recorded lists? We may in future have an exchange where people pay points for these lists, but to start with we should just encourage all participants to put in as well as take out.

We may eventually build something into LingQ, but for the time being I could keep the lists and recordings on my blog, so that they would be available for others to listen to and download. Other people may have other suggestions. We could keep them on different blogs as well, on the blogs of the participants, for example.

Is there any interest in doing this for a variety of languages?

For me, it makes not sense. Lists would be to fix, it would be good for the words and phrases in a single form in the vocabulary section and then integrated in the flashcard function (the next LingQ generation maybe).
Lists of other users contain not my words and phrases, it is to fix too. This would make sense for courses. Today you mentioned courses in other threads too. What do mean with with it? Are courses available today?
Otherwise for some learners it could be helpful for pronunciation and could be a service from a native speaker (other student or teacher).

Steve, could you send me a sample of such a list?

Annett,

I realize that the main beneficiary is the person who created the list. He/she can listen to words that are important, and also gets the benefit of editing the captured phrases and choosing the words to put on the list. How interesting this list is to others, is less clear. However, once the recording has been done, it is available to others with no extra effort.

The list is for pronunciation and vocabulary practice.

Ideally the word and phrase should be read slowly with a pause to allow the learner to imitate the pronunciation of the native speaker.

The hint or translated word need not be recorded.

Given all the changes we need to make to LingQ, sound in the flash cards is not going to be possible until next year, in my view.

Courses are close to being ready and you will see how they work in a few weeks. As a tutor you will be able to create courses and select content for learners. Learners will commit to a course with writing and speaking book forward for the length of the course. It will still be possible to study independently.

Vladimir,

I will email the list since the formatting of the list is lost here on the Forum.

I think that is defiantly good for remembering vocabulary. I would like to have mine be recorded, and helping others, if someone is learning my native language like too.

“definitely”

I will definitely support this iniciative. Please count on me to make it in Spanish.

Steve, I’ve sent my recording for you.

I made a slight variation there - first I read the whole sentence then triple repetition follows.

This time I tried to use my portable mp3-player to make voice recording and that was recorded during outdoor walk. I wonder if the sound quality was acceptable this time ( I used Audacity to do noice reduction on this file ).

The list itself is available here:
http://docs.google.com/View?docID=dggv992p_27gcq2wqfv

I have received the recorded list from Petropavel (Vladimir). I found it less useful than I had hoped, mostly because I was more motivated to listen to more interesting content, or even to read and save new words in my Work Desk. In a way the greatest benefit was the fact that I went through my list and updated and edited the captured phrases. We can try it again for other languages. Other people may react differently.

vanegri

We would love to have some content from you in Spanish for the store as well. You can earn points from this content. The amount of points is not great right now, but it will continue. We expect to do a lot more promoting in the months to come so it could well be worth it.

That is true for anyone, in any of the languages that we support.

Hi Steve,
Do you need the list in Japanese, too?
If so, can you give me some examples?
I am not sure what you mean by the list you need,
should it be something like a dictionary with sounds?

Hi Hitomi,

I suggest we leave if for now. The idea is that some people may want some of their vocab lists pronounced for them. But maybe we should just wait until we have our pronunciation section up at LingQ.