Recent Updates to Known Word Thresholds

Unofficial Known Word Thresholds for most languages in LingQ:

Green figures: Confirmed
Black figures: Extrapolated

Comments:

  • Russian: Somewhat smaller distance from Adv 1 to Adv 2 in % (compared to other languages)
  • Bulgarian: Beg 1 appears too low, relatively to the other threasholds
  • Indonesian, Cantonese and Malay: Distances between levels (in %) are somewhat smaller for the lower levels, compared to other languages. Apparently these languages use the middle category of the ‘old System’
  • All other languages seem to follow a similar pattern (regarding the distances between the levels in %). Therefore the extrapolated figures should match or at least be very close.

2 Likes

This is excellent work. You’re a champ! Thanks for this!

Additional Languages:

1 Like

Das ist großartig. Wir haben hier eine tolle Gemeinschaft, danke!

I have a similar feeling in french as far as ability, but I’m OK with the levels, because it’s about potential. At LingQ A2 we have acquired a vast set of tools and a large pile of materials. At this point is all about using those tools and continuing the glide towards become a master at our new craft. I took a placement test in German a few days ago and had the reverse experience of high school. I completely bombed using the 47 forms (j/k) of the word “the”, but when it came to the listening comprehension I felt strong. In high school (in french), I’d nail the conjugations but have no idea during the listening segments, you know the actual part that matters. Keep it up, I no longer study my A2 language, I live it.

Is there a current list of the known word thresholds for different languages on Lingq? I think there have been further updates since that announcement in 2023. @nsprung

This is the list from Jun 2023. Not sure if it’s changed or not since:

How many words do you need to know to be fluent? - Knowledge Base / FAQs - LingQ Language Forums

1 Like

Hi @porthos , the list ericb100 shared is accurate, except that in some languages the known word threshold for Beginner 1 was lowered to 100 words. But the subsequent thresholds, i.e. for Beginner 2, Intermediate 1, etc, haven’t changed.

If you notice a clear inconsistency, I can investigate for you.

2 Likes