Reading without training wheels - a mile stone

I generally import all my material into lingq because I like it tracked, everything im reading and all my progress. Lately though I have found myself frustrated how slow I was reading, so I decided to skip the importing and just read what i could in the articles i was coming across.

I think I found a new system for me. I was able to get more than just the gist of the article while still missing a number of words. and import it into lingq after just to skim over specific problem areas and lingq any blue words.

I found my reading was significantly faster and I knew way more words than I realized. Whats funny though is, after I import it it seems like I lose some of that confidence and skip over words or phrases that i understood in the initial read.

Some food for thought

4 Likes

This has sort of been my process as well. I mostly just read books, so what I’d do is read a chunk of text on my Kindle without looking up any words, and then just go through the same text on LingQ really quick, using the keyboard shortcuts just to mark words as needed. This can train you to read unassisted with more and more comfort and confidence.

1 Like

Yeah, its crazy how much more I know unassisted than what I realized. I was getting so caught up on understanding each word. I will probably do that with books as well, thanks!

Yeah, I find that when I read unassisted, my unknown words really fall into four categories:
–words that are easily understood within the context,
–words that may not be easily understood, but are quickly glossed over because they’re not really necessary for the context
–words that I genuinely need to look up in order to understand for the context
–obscure words, foreign words, and proper nouns

So really, of the unknown words, only the 3rd category is “necessary” to look up for comprehension. Of course you want to eventually know the words in the first two categories as well, but he more you read, the lesser percentage of your text will be composed of those category 3 words, and therefore, unassisted reading becomes more fluid despite the presence of words from category 1 and 2.

3 Likes