Reading seems to enable time travel

Time is such a curious commodity. I often think that I am too busy to do all the things that I have to do, but when it comes down to it, I can cram an awful lot of reading into my ‘non-existent’ free time. Suddenly time expands, my focus shifts and my attention stays on the page.

At the moment I am fascinated by Alicia Gímenez Bartlett´s “Donde nadie te encuentre”, a fact-based story about ‘La Pastora’, a member of the Spanish resistance. I have read and enjoyed AGB’s ‘Barcelona’ thrillers, but this book surpasses them all. So, if you want a well-written and informative book in Spanish, look no further. Stick your nose into its pages and let time take you away.

If you’d like to step much further into the past, my son has just recommended Mike Dash’s “Batavia’s Graveyard”, which is also based on the most horrific facts. I’ve got it in front of me and am wondering whether it would be wise to start it now. Will it help me to fall asleep? I doubt it. But then, who needs so much sleep.

The first title looks really interesting. (I read a first page preview of it on Amazon.) I do wish I had the time to read it now, but I’m on a tight schedule with Korean. Well, I’ve put it on my ‘To Read’ list. Thanks for the recommendation!

You have just defined what, to my mind, is the best material for language learning: something so fascinating that you can’t put it down.

Batavia’s Graveyard

There is a fine short book in French about this, Les naufragés du Batavia : Suivi de Prosper, by Simon Leys. It was recommended to me by a friend, and she was certainly right on the mark. It’s a fascinating book. The 2nd essay, “Prosper,” a reminiscence of the author’s summer working on a Breton fishing boat in his youth, is also very good reading.

Oh, no! Something else for our reading lists… Thank you!

@Helen Yes, aren’t we lucky that we have learnt to learn this way. I agree. Reading in the original language is such a pleasure, it is nearly indecent.
@Yvette You made me smile there: wasn’t it you who once nearly despaired over her French and now you are too busy with your Korean, but will put the Spanish book onto your reading list. :slight_smile:

Happy reading, happy learning!

1 Like

When I read Yvette’s post, I thought more or less the same thing!

@SanneT: Now you have made me smile. It would seem that I’ve come a long way. Funny how the academic language learning cloud nearly smothered me to death. (Thanks in great part to Serge that I made it out of those French Seminars alive!) Take an autodidactic approach to language learning and one can breathe and soar to new, beautiful heights! Needless to say, I’m extremely happy to be able to add “Donde nadie te encuentre” to my Spanish Books reading list.

@Jingle: Yes, Yvette’s post is a good example to us all that we tend to be blind to our own progress. It often takes an outsider’s view to remind us of our achievement.

There are many people here on LingQ who have taken giant steps over the years that I’ve been reading the forum. Even I, one of the world’s lazy people, have done well.

I notice it’s past midnight, therefore way past my bedtime, and so to bed!