Racism and bigotism in old literature

Yes, one should not change the original texts, unless it´s some kind of a new version of the story (another medium, simplified etc.) or maybe if it´s being published for children - I´d hardly want children, who of course have not developed critical thinking to the same level as adults, to be reading books that taught them to call black people n*ggers and so on.

But if something is published with notes, which is not the same as changing the texts, I do not think that is necessarily a bad thing. If people can read the original work with a critical mindset, they can also read the notes with a critical mindset.

You are also right that the term “racism” can certainly be overused and mixed up with other phenomena. Being critical of a certain religious or cultural belief or practice or some country´s foreign policy, does not necessarily equal being racist, even though it could sometimes be fueled by racism, but people often tend to call racism in situations like that where it´s not founded.

Well said. We certainly agree on this. Thanks for a stimulating and respectful conversation.

@ rokkvi Smartysmurfdottir

Please don’t spam this forum again with a political post that goes like this:

Hey guys guys…

I’ve been reding these sophisticated 19th century novels.

Now, I noticed they use some old ethnic terms in there, that anyone who can read knnows are not good manners in 2021, and they also do some ethnographic theorizing, that we are now clear about being inaccurate.
It greatly troubles my poor heart, that characters in these sophisticated 19th century novel I’ve been reading theorize if Australian Aboriginals are apes or not! (Unexpected twist: They are apes to a similar extent as Icelanders)

I don’t agree with censoring this, because I still want to fake-signal being reasonable and liberal, but hear me out:

Since I am so smart, I would like to patronize other readers of these sophisticated 19th century novels, many of whom apparently are children without teachers and beginning learners without context and a brain.

What really worries me, are that those “children and beginning learners”, who read sophisticated 19th century novels, will read this, and be at a complete loss to understand that 19th century ethnography and racial theorizing turn out to be inacurrate, and that using their old terms may not be good manners today. Because these children and beginners have no outside context, teachers, or my smartness!

Also, sitting here bored on my Peripheral Pony Island of 300.000, I want to signal my displeasure at its lack of enriching diversity and vibrancy so far! When “a black man visited”, they had a newspaper article on it, can you believe these monsters!
I would like to make sympathetic noises towards multiculturalism, since I am not forced to live in it, yet, and only know it from lovely travel and purified media hypnosis.

Good thing noone realizes I secretly enjoyed almost spelling out some ethnic slurs with only a single * for an i. Hihihi.
End post.

If rokkvi Smartysmurfdottir would like to stop talking hot air, spamming this forum with political fluff, and do some real helping, I suggest she can either help by bringing 40.000 diverse and vibrant people into his hood in Reykjavillage Pony Island, to get a taste of what central Europe feels like, shootings, rapes, tripled litter, tripled honking, tripled graffiti, nightly no-go-zones for single females, gang-activity, dropping academic achievement, social trust and cohesion fraying, and other wonders. All projections pointing to a bright future of ever more growing vibrant diversity!

Or alternatively she could travel to the land of vibrant diversity itself, do some real help with the issues there, and become girlfriend number 5 of a real gentleman like Abu Azrael or his Talibaby equivalent:

Meet Abu Azrael, ‘Iraq’s Rambo’, the most renowned fighter in Iraq

I think rokkvi’s smart-talk may even turn them from IQ 85, tribalist, religious believers into IQ 110 secularist humanists, who just want to have hummus and chai latte (soy of course) with cute rokkvi.

Vienna documentary “On location: Fight in the park”. This could be your future on Peripheral Pony Island!
ORF Am Schauplatz: Kampf im Park - 21.07.2016

The blondish Afghan’s nickname is Spartacus. What a legend!

To understand the type of Icelandic ape rokkvi is, I strongly encourage the viewing of these three messages of clarity:

Why Virtue-Signallers Are psychopaths and “Ethics” is Just Emotional Manipulation

Leftists Are Motivated by Self-Interest and Envy, NOT Compassion: The Evidence

Why All Left Wing People Are Raging Liars

The Psychology and Rise of the Mid-Wit

My prayers are with rokkvi and boring Peripheral Pony Island.
May the boredom of 300.000 Icelanders and 10.000 diverse people, be corrected swiftly into
150.000 Icelanders and 60.000 diverse people, so rokkvi can discover the joys of sodomy.

“”“Icelanders have only fairly recently started to learn more what is and isn´t appropriate or simply true or false regarding a lot of inter cultural and ethnic matters”“”

Yes, it looks like they haven’t learned much yet.

" If rokkvi Smartysmurfdottir would like to stop talking hot air, spamming this forum with political fluff, and do some real helping, I suggest she can either help by bringing 40.000 diverse and vibrant people into his hood in Reykjavillage Pony Island, to get a taste of what central Europe feels like, shootings, rapes, tripled litter, tripled honking, tripled graffiti, nightly no-go-zones for single females, gang-activity, dropping academic achievement, social trust and cohesion fraying, and other wonders. All projections pointing to a bright future of ever more growing vibrant diversity! "

Sounds alright when can I come?

All jokes aside chill out mate!

@nicklaw1

Thank you for the link and heads up!

Vienna is one of the best cities, and I am aware of these Economist/Mercer rankings.

You have to keep in mind though that these rankings get made by cosmopolitan wealthy UN, OPEC, etc. officials, businessmen, etc. who are staying in Hotel Imperial if not at the UN, and watching some Figaro at the operahouse after their day of paperpushing. These rankings are meant for the type of mobile, wealthy class, that needs to decide where to live for fun or set up their company headquaters. They are still fair rankings, considering public services, green spaces, security etc. but I don’t think they are quite for the average person.

Also.
“Austrian school” economists sometimes say how all fiat-currencies are in inflationary free fall compared to real goods and gold, so it is relatively meaningless to counter with “the USD is strong compared to the Zimbabwean funnypaper” while the USD is crashing at 4% inflation.

By the same token I would argue that most large Western city are in a slow but steady free fall of quality towards a Cairo, Sao Paolo, Mumbay slum, and Vienna being “still the best of a bad lot” is only half the story.

Two data-points for you, more recent than the 2019 ranking:

An Albanian Jihadi John gracing us with our first attack in Nov 2020:

Four Afghans doing their thing:
https://radiofiji.com.fj/leonie-13-murdered-in-vienna-a-girl-killer-should-have-been-in-jail/17989/

Keep in mind that these are only the most newsworthy excesses, and that the rot and decay beneath go silent and deep. I can tell you that littering in parks and honking (prohibited except if absolutely necessary to prevent accidents) have trippled in the last two years. Just my anecdotal observation and difficult to quantify, but I can confirm to you that the last 20 years mark out an accelerating negative trend.

Now once you are talking about our children and grandchildren, and projecting current trends into the year 2100, you’ll see why I don’t want to see our cities move any more in this direction of security, wealth-levels and governance:

Dokki (Cairo) - call to the maghrib prayer 03/2012

I’ve been to South America 6 months, Russia 6 weeks, China 3 months, Lebanon 3 weeks, all in cheap minimalist single backpacking. So I am not squeamish and unused to the flavour of second-third world chaos. But the type of people who want to force my children to grow up in something like this, while changing out 50% of the ethno-religious composition, will face severe questioning from the Inquisition one day.

But, the stereotype of the Viennese character is that we are deeply grumpy and macabre complainers. So maybe I am guilty as charged. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yet, the point of my post was not to bash Vienna at all, but to make some more people aware, that these left-liberal rokkvi + ftornay types have been scientifically confirmed to be covert malignant narcissists, of mediocre intellect, who need triggering pushback to shut down their BS, lies and hyprocritical lecturing. Any normal person knew this, but now the science is in.

Why We Must Fight the White Supremacy of the Woke Left

Newest one from Professor Naughty, and it is so on point!

(WHAT PREVIOUSLY HAPPENED ON THIS FORUM:

1. I posted supporting political demography Prof Eric Kaufmann against woke cancel-loosers.
  2. ftornay and rokkvi rage back at me that myself and “political demography” are royzyzt dogwhistles.
  3. I trigger them with Dr. Naughty Heretic Eddy McDutt videos.
  4. ftornay rages at me something about “Aryans, QAnon, blabla”, which bore no connection to anything implied, and gets joined by a smug rokkvi.
  5. The thread gets deleted, because damn the Kaufmanns’ loyalty to free speech. They don’t want the Eric business connected to lingQ. “No politics on this forum like was normal in 2011-2016”)

Anyway.

Always welcome to visit Vienna if you don’t litter, honk, rape-murder, and shoot’em up.
And I am in fact chilling quite hard. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Cheers to brotherly Ozzystralia!

Thank you for such valuable information. It is very important for me. At the moment I am studying at the university and writing several studies that relate to racism and its various manifestations in our lives. One of the most interesting topics and eras in this regard is the Harlem Renaissance, an analysis of its culture. At Essays About Harlem Renaissance ➡️ Free Examples & Essay Topic Ideas I found some pretty interesting and constructive articles about the Harlem Renaissance. The late 1800s and early 1900s, in the post-emancipation era, the United States was a period of identity exploration, enlightenment, and empowerment, as well as separation, discrimination, and adjustment for African Americans.

I like what you have post here!