Questions Regarding German

Hello I am hoping some of you clever people will be able to explain to me the difference between Swiss German and German from Germany, from my understanding and from a little bit of research in Switzerland they have different dialects for different parts of Switzerland and German from Germany is called ‘High German’

How would I go about learning Swiss German if I wanted to move to Switzerland?
and does Lingq support this? and if I wanted to move to Germany I would assume that I would just follow the courses like with Spanish for example.

Thinking of starting to learn German after 6 months of Spanish as I plan on reallocation to one or the other.

Many Thanks!

There is different dialects in Germany also like Bavarian for example. High German is the standard which you will see in the media across Germany and which is recommended for learners. I think that the regional things can be picked up after learning the standard or I believe Memrise offers a flashcard course with Switzerland’s dialect if it is that important to you. I’m sure that someone can provide additional information.

There are quite a few dialects in the German speaking world. My German is solid, but I basically had to start from scratch when I started dating an Austrian girl from Tirol. My best advice would be this: Learn standard German for now (there is simply more material available). When you get to the stage where you are consuming media, then start adding Swiss sources too (for example: https://www.srf.ch)

High German (Hochdeutsch, called also quite often “Schriftdeutsch” (written German) in Switzerland is the standard version of the language, which is used for most written material and formal situations in all German speaking countries, including Switzerland.
Along with this variety of the language, there are many dialects in all German speaking countries. They differ quite a lot from the standard, so much as not to be mutually understandable.
How much people use the local dialect or the interregional “Hochdeutsch” varies from region to region. Swiss people tend to use their local varieties (called “Schwyzerdüstch”) in most everyday situations and even in semiformal settings. In many parts of Germany, in contrast, you can hear Hochdeutsch most of the time, even in informal situations. Schwyzerdüstch is not considered a dialect but a different language, even if it’s closely related to allemanic dialects spoken in southwestern Germany. There are different varieties of Schwyzerdüstch but they can usually be understood by all speakers.
Dialects are not to be confused with local variations of the Hochdeustch standard or with different accents. In general, each region speaks with Hochdeutsch with a distinctive accent and usually has some idiosincratic expressions or words.
Going back to the Swiss example. In Switzerland you can find both Schwyzerdütsch (which German speakers from other regions typically can’t understand) and a Swiss variation of Hochdeustch, which has some differences with respect ot that spoken elsewhere but is easily understood by other speakers.
Here on Lingq, Yolanda has uploaded a few lessons in Schwyzerdütsch and has explained some of its features.