Question regarding lingq's thresholds

Hi there, I’m currently studying Japanese and English at Lingq and I’ve just noticed that the threshold for the ‘’ intermediate 2" level (and possibly for the other levels aswell) is different for these 2 languages: being 5000 words for English and 6000 words for Japanese.

Would someone be so kind as explaining to me why is there such a gap please?

Some languages have more words with inflectional endings than others. As a result, the thresholds for French, German, etc. are
even higher.

Oh, I see ! Thank you for your answer !

I think it’s quite simple. The biggest difference between languages like English and Japanese is that Japanese people tend to have words like “beautiful person” (美人、イケメンetc.) , whereas English just describe them with verbs and adjectives + nouns (Like I wrote “beautiful person”). In my opinion that’s the reason why it’s like that. Furthermore when often in English can a word be a verb and an noun, it also needs less words. For example to drink and drink, whereas 飲む and 飲料 (drinks in general, i.e. water, tea, coke etc.). The same goes in German (my native language) We have the word trinken (to drink) and das Getränk (the drink).

1 Like

Thank you ! :slight_smile: