Problem creating lesson - part of the text deleted

I was trying to create a lesson. When I clicked Save and generate lesson, the text of the lesson got silently truncated. The original text was something under 2800 words long.

Here is the lesson link Login - LingQ

There are several problems with this. First, the part my text got deleted (I suppose the indented behavior was to split the lesson in two). Second, if the text was to long, I didn’t receive any notification that there’s something wrong (in v4 editor there used to be a message box saying you couldn’t have lessons longer than 4k words). Third, the lesson text is obviously too short to be too long. One would expect the new version to be able to have longer lessons than the old version and not the other way around.

2 Likes

The lesson gets split automatically on 2000 words. So you should get 2 parts for that lesson after saving it. Did part 2 appear or not?

No, it did not

Also - why did you reduce the word limit by half? 4000 words for lesson was an (arbitrarily chosen) low number to begin with, why making it even lower? What was the point? What value does it add?

2 Likes

Can you try importing it again now and let me know if you still have the same problem?

The text gets split into two lessons now, so that problem is solved.

However, there is still no warning that the lesson is going to be split. Basically, the only way to know that I will end up with two lessons instead of one is to try and save it.

3 Likes

Also, there is another bug now. The old lesson I saved cannot be deleted, because it is apparently “in use”.

1 Like

I agree, it would be nice to have a message informing us the text will be split.

1 Like

Yes, that would really be an improvement.
I had the same problem and thought this was a bug. It took me a while to find out what the problem was.

1 Like

Thanks guys, I’ll let our team know.

1 Like

Was that lesson ever shared in the Library? Of it was always private?

It has always been private