Possible to increase the context phrase when reviewing?

Can the LingQ team increase the context phrase when reviewing vocabulary? I get some cards where the phrase only includes a couple of words and to be honest it is not helpful. If there was a way to see thethe whole sentence the word or phrase is in I think that would be more helpful. Thanks!

1 Like

Keep in mind that you yourself control how much context you want when you initially make the lingQ. Highlighting a phrase in yellow, rather than a single word can be very beneficial.

In Russian, where learning a verb requires knowing what grammatical case should be used for the accompanying nouns and adjectives, I have long been in the habit of highlighting the phrase that includes the new verb and the words that accompany it so I know which case is used if it’s not obvious to me. I also highlight phrases because some Russian words can be translated differently, depending on the context. In this way, I learn the specific context in which the word is appropriate.

Highlighting phrases is also helpful because sometimes a combination of words is a special expression, translated somewhat differently than the meaning of each individual word. Frankly, I have long tended to highlight phrases more often than single words. Effectively I create a context that makes sense to me for each new term.

An added benefit of making lingqs of phrases is that I can use them in the dictation review function to help listening comprehension. Since I cannot write what I do not understand, listening to a short phrase and then writing it in the answer window is a good test of whether I really know the grammar of the phrase as well as its meaning. (Some of the case endings sound similar but are spelled differently. If I don’t know grammatically which case should be used, I will not spell it correctly and my answer will not be accepted.) If I can correctly write the phrase when just hearing it on the dictation exercise, I can confidently move it to “known.”

In addition, in Russian, as in some languages, native pronunciation does not enunciate words separately but instead can combine one word with the next. Thus, in order to understand how a word is pronounced in authentic speech, I have to practice hearing it in a sentence where its first syllable may be confused by a prior word. For example, the preposition “в” [in/on, to] sounds like V or F which then is combined with the initial syllable of the following word. One doesn’t normally hear a pause between “V/F” and the sound of the next word. I have found that listening to short phrases and then writing them is a good mini practice of authentic speech and much more effective than hearing the pronunciation of individual words.

In short, you can create as much context as you need/want when you make the lingQ originally by highlighting a phrase in yellow.

I hoping it is OK if I bump this thread because I’m hoping this could be a future enhancement in LingQ.

Yes, I do create LingQs with phrases. But that does not solve the problem. For one, LingQ limits you to the number of words in a phrase. And at least in the desktop app, I find the limit is arbitrary. Sometimes I can highlight phrases quite long while others are restricted to fewer words. I have not figured out the rhyme or reason for this. I know I should not be highlighting an entire paragraph as an example, but I tend to read of lot of news and sometimes there are sentences quite long and I need the surrounding context to really help me understand the meaning of a word or phrase within the sentence. The mobile app seems to have more flexibility in this regard and allows me to create longer LingQs, but it is frustrating to have to switch between them.

Also, take a look at this flashcard I was reviewing today. The “context” is the same as the phrase itself! Totally unhelpful: Card-No-Context hosted at ImgBB — ImgBB

Compare that with this flashcard that was in the same review. Much more context and much more helpful for me:
https://ibb.co/BjYW5zH

Please LingQ developers, consider improving the context on the flashcards. It would also be cool when reviewing flashcards in a lesson to have the context come from the current lesson. For example, I am doing the review before paging in a lesson and the context comes from lessons I did a year ago which for many words or phrases could be quite different compared to the context I’m seeing in my current lesson. I just think that would make the flashcard feature much more beneficial :slight_smile: Thanks!