Possibility of content valuation or commenting content

I think it would be nice to have the possibility of a Content valuation, maybe by comments or maybe valuation by classes.

I suggest that there should be some criteria where users can give there own impression of the content. For example there could be criteria like

• Difficulty (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced)
  • Accuracy of the transcript (Accurate, some missing words, lot of differences)
  • Quality of record (High, good, some ambient noises or other adverse effects)
  • Speed of speech (Slow, moderate, quick)
  • Special accent or dialect or regional and the comprehensibleness of the accent
  • Issue of the content (Interesting, not my interest, boring etc.)

I think that is very interesting for other users.

For me is very important if content is spoken with a special accent. For example if content is British or American English or even a strange dialect like Scottish. Or in Spanish it is interesting if content is European or Latin American Spanish. There are often great differences in pronunciation and in the used vocabulary.

That COULD be a really could idea, Vera!

That would be the only criteria that could help LingQ to evaluate.
A provider himself can not be objective enough.

I remember to an article from Wikipedia and in the headline was written "Caffeine (Simple English) - it is NOT easy!

On the other side I am frightened different things… I cannot express here all :slight_smile:

But the idea to give more informations about dialect, speed and so on would be very helpful.

You’re right! A provider himself can not be objective enough.

I’m also a little bit frightened :slight_smile:

I can imagine that the result of valuation is only shown if 3, 5 or 8 users have done a valuation and then the average has a good sifnificance.

I’m shure that this is a double-edged sword but I think the positive things more than the negatives.

in addition: in the items for the beginner area should be no differences from text and record! They should be really exactly.

In both articles from Wikipedia I read (the one I mentioned before, the other is the article about tea ceremony) are a lot of differences.

I know how difficult it is to bring articles without mistakes, I am happy too get informations when I have mistakes and can bring a correction.
But each provider should be interested to have not too much.

We certainly intend to introduce some form of evaluation of content by our members. We will also introduce some form of member evaluation of tutors! There is lots to do.

The site is good. However I have to admit that it would be even better with some improvements.
What will be the next new feature? Do you have any idea?

Our main focus now is to improve the community, and to make it easier for people who are not strong independent learners to understand how to benefit from our site.

Then we will probably improve the Library.

Improving existing functionality, or adding new functionality for a small number of highly motivated learners, is not a high priority right now. It is not that we do not think it is important, it is just that other things are more important.

Once we have improved the community and made it easier for more people to understand our site, we will have to work very hard to increase our traffic and our membership.

Once we have a larger user base, more people doing things at the site, interacting with each other, learning, writing, talking, saving more LingQs etc., once we have a stronger base, we will continue working to improve the site, its functions, and we have a long wish list.

Meanwhile we are always interested to have input from our users, their ideas and suggestions.

VeraI said: “…or even a strange dialect like Scottish”

Whatever can you mean? You must be English! :wink:

Oh I meant to add I think it’s a good idea too.

I know what you mean by the accents :slight_smile:

Hi Kgeoghegan,
I come from Germany but I have an audio English learning CD with a lot of items and one was Scottish. I remember that I understand less than 50 Percent :wink:

But in German exists also such strange accents and when people don’t make efforts to speak well and comes from special regions I have difficulties with their speech. And it’s German. Or should be German :wink:

I haven’t really looked at the English-language library items. What accent are they mostly in? Is there a need for different English accents?

If there is a demand for more material in a southern English accent, I was thinking of recording some material for a Russian friend. I could put that in the LingQ library for you.

Hi Helen, I think, most English Content is from American sources. But I’m although interested in British English.
What is special with an southern English accent?

Nothing. It’s an “average” British English accent. As opposed to parts of Northern England, which have very individual accents. The Newcastle dialect has Norwegian roots, and I believe many Yorkshire words are derived from Danish. And you know yourself how different the Scots sound. That’s because Scotland historically had its own language (or languages? Scots and Scots Gaelic)

I don’t sound exactly like a BBC newsreader (they go to expensive schools where are taught to sound that way) but you should have no difficulty understanding me.

Helen,

We would love to have more content in British accents, whether form the south, the Midlands or Scotland. I would be helpful if in the footer you identified the region that the accent is from.

Kevin,

If you have the time to record something for us with a Scottish accent, Vera could practice listening to it.

By the same token a little Bavarian or Austrian accented German would also be welcome.

The more accents the better, as long as we can identify them.

Hi Helen, I would enjoy it :slight_smile:

The suggestion of Steve to add a hint in the footer is a good idea.

But I don’t want to learn too strong accents. I think it’s a difference if there is a small accent which can be nice or if the accent is so strong that people who are native speakers have difficulties in understanding. Or if it is so strange that it is far away from the normal speaking and all normal grammar.

It would be great fun to have accent samples of the same texts - perhaps not all episodes of “Who is she?” but maybe one short dialogue/story. I know a Norwegian website featuring a one minute long story in 20+ accents.

As has been mentioned, we do plan on making significant improvements to our Library. When we do, one of the things we will be adding is an “accent” field. This way different accents and dialects will be readily identified.

That sounds great! Considering the fact that members with the same native language still can come from different parts of the country or “language region”, it seems that members alone could cover a lot of accents.

I’m looking forward to hear more varieties of the languages I’m studying.