"Popular" Meanings and false translations

I’ve also found this to be a problem. But I found an easy work-around. I downloaded the “TransOver” app and I use that to double check any definitions I find suspicious. I set it up so that it shows me a translation when I mouseover a word. It’s saved me from getting a poor definition quite a few times. It’s available for Chrome and Firefox, and probably other browsers too. Here’s the link:

TransOver

1 Like

This discussion reminds me of this:

Thanks for this!!!

(post must be at least 20 characters)

1 Like

I want to point out here that when you click an unfamiliar word in LingQ, only one definition shows up. You have to click it, no matter how wrong it is, or leave the word without any definition, or write a definition yourself even though you have no idea what the word means. THEN after that, you can click the word again, and the second time you click it, you suddenly have access to a long list of definitions and you also have access to some dictionaries.

Because of this, probably thousands of wrong definitions are clicked every day because people have no other choice, and then this wrong definition becomes “popular.” Also because of this, people are forced to type nonsense in the bar in order to proceed, because of the error message saying that you cannot leave the definition blank. (Except actually you can ignore the message and just click away from the box to leave it blank. Things I’ve Learned.)

This is not the case.

On the web, blue words show every available definition on the righthand pane. In the app (on android and ios), if you select a blue word, it shows just the one or two “top” ones (not sure they really are the top, but that’s another story), but you can swipe up on the pop up (aim to swipe near the top of the popup–there is a little “bar”. This will open all of the definitions.

You also can select any of the online dictionaries in the dictionary section on the popup and input a meaning based on what you see in the dictionary.

Glad to hear it works that way for you. Not for me, though. I just now checked it again (edited to add: on my Android phone). This time I see at most two definitions when I click the blue word, no way to scroll down to see the rest. Maybe there are only two defs? Let’s see. Click away, click the word again, and now I see an option to click “dictionaries and definitions” down-arrow, which wasn’t there before, which opens up a whole new world of definitions that weren’t there before.

This happens again and again and again. Every single time. No way I’m imagining things.

On the computer (Windows/Firefox) it does work.

Sometimes when I enter a new definition (because it wasn’t in the initial list), click away, and then click back, and now I find out that several other people also entered that same definition that wasn’t there before, or variations thereof. Also, sometimes when I try to enter a definition, the (edited to add: Android) app doesn’t accept my definition. So what I have to do is click a bad definition, back-arrow to delete it, and write the new definition in its place. Then when I click away from the input box, the new definition is saved and the old definition is still there, and then I manually delete it from my list of selected definitions (but it’s still in the list below or other people if they want it.)

On the initial popup…when I say “swipe up”, I don’t mean scroll up/down. Click the blue word once. Then on that popup, there’s a “bar” near the top of the popup. Place your finger below that and swipe upwards though the bar/top of the pop up screen. That “expands” the popup two show the dictionaries, and all the other user definitions.

Hopefully I’m making some sense.

2 Likes

I just tried it. It works!!! Thank you! This one tip will cut my vocab acquisition time in half moving forward. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome! I’m happy it helped!

1 Like