Polyglot speaks several Tier4 and Tier4 languages

I find this lady amazing as she covers so many different languages that are incredibly difficult for an English speaker to learn let along shift so swiftly between them. I especially like that she seems down to earth and at one point gets “interference” when she tries to switch between Vietnamese and Arabic. (We probably all know this feeling but she pauses to verbalise it). Sounds completely unrehearsed and spontaneous. Apologies if she was already covered here.

PS headline should read Tier3 and Tier4 languages

Thanks for posting this Marianne - I agree that this lady is very impressive.

It’s true that she is a little bit stumbling at times - but this is exactly what one would expect from a person who has reached a genuine high level of fluency in the past, but not had a chance to speak the language for many years.

In my opinion the way she speaks has a ring of authenticity. (For me, this video is much more impressive than the kind of slick rote-learned 90 second show put out by Benny and his ilk.)

Thanks from me, too. She makes my head spin, so many Asiatic languages.!

She’s very impressive!

I’m glad to say that I understood everything she said in Thai, and almost everything in Laotian ! :slight_smile:
I have noticed one mistake only (in fact, more an imperfection than a mistake), and her accent is really good.

In French, it is true that she speaks with an Arabic accent : this is strange and funny at the same time !

Very impressive indeed, and it is great to see a another woman polyglot lest people think that this is the preserve of men. What is most impressive is the natural almost casual way she presents her languages, as if it is all nothing really all that special.

That is a great video. I also enjoyed her other videos where she speaks to Vietnamese friends and other native speakers during her trips to Asia. Besides, she obvioulsy is great at buck dancing (I must admit I had not come across that term before I watched her videos ;-). A really talented woman who also seems to be a very kind person.

This video here

is an excellent example of how right Nelson Mandela was when he said:
If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart.

Just look at the smiles of the guys when she starts talking to them in their local dialect :slight_smile:

Yes, very impressive! I really enjoyed this video. Thanks for posting this, Marianne10.

lovelanguagesII, another great and fun video! Thanks for posting. :slight_smile:

Really nice video !

I experience the same thing when I speak Thai with Thai people : the first seconds, they literary “bug” (with incomprehension in their eyes), then they ask me how and why I am learning Thai, and then they smile (a lot !).
It’s very easy to talk with them, they are very communicative.

@ lovelanguagesII :
“when she starts talking to them in their local dialect.”

As Thai Isan is spoken by around 20 millions people, I wouldn’t call it a “local dialect”. :wink:

For the information, in the second video, she said that she lived in Thailand 23 years ago.

This reminds me Daniel Fraser, a Canadian citizen living in Thailand since about 11 years.
He has a show on the Thai TV (“Long Krung” or หลงกรุง).
His Thai is absolutely amazing !
Here is the first episode of the show : Long Krung - Episode 1 - Have you eaten Yet? - YouTube

ad JujuLeCaribou: (…) As Thai Isan is spoken by around 20 millions people, I wouldn’t call it a “local dialect”. :wink:

OK, I stand corrected :wink:

I’m not a linguist so I’m actually not really familiar with the exact terminology to be used in this context, but I have read that Isaan Thai is a dialect of Lao. Maybe it is a “regional variant” of Thai rather than a “local dialect”, don’t know :wink:
In any case it seems to differ from what some may call “standard Thai”.

May I ask where and how you have studied Thai? I love the language and hope to study it one day. Personally, I find that you need much more exposure to tonal languages than is the case with the other languages I have studied to reach a reasonable level allowing you to converse with people.

@Imy: Interesting. I personally don’t care what some people call different languages vs. dialects, but I enjoy hearing their logic. So I am curious now as to what you call a language family. So for you, is Russian, French, Icelandic, and Hindi all the same language? Or are you more narrow, making French and Spanish the same language, or Icelandic and German?

Oh, and you’re definitely ridiculous, but I’m ok with that. :slight_smile:

C’mon guys, let’s not get worked up about the “language” versus “dialect” thing! :-0

(For me, all “languages” are nothing very much more than “dialects” which happen to have a police service, a justice system and a military…)

Imyrtseshed said:

I’ve said many times, and have been belittled and ridiculed for it almost as many times, that a whole language family is a ‘language’ and every form within that family is just a ‘dialect’. It’s a not practical definition, I admit. It’s also a non-political one. These ways are unfortunately how we approach the whole ‘language’ vs ‘dialect’ debate - and those ways fail to settle the issue in any way.

Thao, Thai and Isaan are simply 3 variants (and there are certainly many dozens of variants - if not including isolect). The whole x is a dialect of y, is ridiculous. Why is Thai not a dialect of Isaan? Because it’s a political issue.

The real situation is incredibly complex and such simple binary logic just doesn’t apply.

That’s just my input on this little side issue which has been brought up. Hopefully somebody who isn’t stuck in the normal mindset will find it interesting instead of telling me that it’s (or that I’m) ridiculous. :slight_smile:

*For reference:

Southwestern Tai languages - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Tai_langu
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Tai_lang

(Tai not being a misspelling of ‘Thai’)

Interesting point.

Imyirtseshem:
"Djc, yes, I would claim that Russian, French, Icelandic and Hindi are indeed the same language. They’ve just diverged over time. People will argue: “But they don’t understand each other!” To that I must say that the degree of mutual intelligibility doesn’t solve the problem either. I must say that there are dialects of English which I find rather difficult to understand. Certainly more difficult to understand that Dutch, for me personally. What does that do to the definition of language if we use such a measuring stick? No, it fails like the others.

Those variants which come down from a common source, are a single language. We’re yet to know if all language families on the planet are related. (If language arose once, why not twice?)"

Odd way of looking at it since there are other influences apart from sanskrit (I presume this is what you mean)

The Torah/Bible says all languages are related…

Imyrtseshem said
"Sanskrit is a young variant of the IE-language (family), Marianne. A close sister to it was what we now call Avestan. Very beautiful languages, I might add… Merely a few thousand years… out of our possible 2 million to 40,000 years of language. The idea of a ‘first’ language is somewhat troublesome. I think that as we evolved, we were developing language as a more and more complex system. That is to say that it didn’t just appear all of a sudden. So, is it possible that there were already divergent variants of a sort of ‘pre-language’?

Ultimately, we simply don’t know if all languages are related. Campbell’s work was full with inconsistencies in the methodology and in the results. Though, Linguistics is still a young field. Perhaps there will be further breakthroughs in the future.

As to the Torah, it tells us many things which are utter mincey pies, and should not be trusted as far as we should throw it. :)"

Interesting.

Great video.

Nice to see that there are other Thai speakers here. Maybe we can convince Steve to add Thai to LingQ.

I wish they would add Thai but I think the only way to convince LingQ to add any language at the moment is if a language gets 1000 votes on a Facebook poll. :frowning:

You might want to look at this: