Points expiration

I also have completely stopped using the points system after paying a premium subscription for a year and then losing almost all of the points I paid for. I hand also stopped thinking about my word count and where I am on the ladder. I can no longer find other members scores anyway.

"We are listening to your views but a number of things need to be taken into consideration before we make any changes. "

I cannot understand where the priority is given. Only one thing is clear. The word “we” in this sentence neither denotes tutors nor members.

Hahaha Yutaka you are correct! 44% is the commission, still WAY TOO MUCH, Lingqs collects in “taxes” almost half of it.

Maybe this has something to do with the fact that Steve was born in Sweden :stuck_out_tongue:

Speaking services : 25% commission when you get the points and 25% commission when you cash out.

Exchange page, gift points and referral points : no commission (*) when you get the points and 25% commission when you cash out

Provider awards: no commission when you get the points and no commission when you cash out

Berta
IDEL, Spanish lessons at Lingq

(*)(at least this was the case when they created the Exchange page, and Vera says so, so it must remain the same)

Hi Berta, are you sure you got this right? As far as I know the commission is only taken once: at the time you cash points out. As long as you keep the points in your account and use them for the exchange too, they’ll not be reduced.

When you cash out points from the exchange and gift points get reduced. Referral points and provider awards have no commission.

Oh you’re right Vera, I see they changed this 2 years ago!. Sorry!. Dear lord!. Well I still find 25% commission is too high, though not huge, as I’ve been believing up until 5 minutes ago :stuck_out_tongue:

I didn’t know referral points didn’t get a commission when they cashed out (unfortunately I don’t have those).

In fact, Berta, what you say here is not true. We don’t take any points when you host a conversation or respond to an exchange request. That is the old system. We made that change years ago when, instead, we started taking commissions when you cash out. We have never charged both types of commission. In fact, many people who tutor on LingQ do not cash out their points but use them instead to pay for tutoring for themselves. LingQ takes no commission at all from those people. It is only when tutors want to convert their points to cash that we take a commission. That commission is 25% of all points earned through the Exchange. Points earned in other ways are cashed out commission free.

Thank you for your explanation.

So it is like I wrote above. But Mark, I guess you forgot the gifted points. They get reduced too it you cash them out.

I didn’t even realise that my points would expire (will teach me to read to the bottom of the page before handing out my cash in the future!)

But my first reaction was ‘I won’t be spending any more points at LingQ’, precisely for this reason.

However upon further thought, considering I do pretty much all my learning from Evgeny’s Russian lessons, I do agree that he should be rewarded for creating and uploaded such content. Maybe explaining this point clearer when buying points would be helpful?

At another language-learning site the currency used within it “will be valid for six months after your most recent login date.” Six months is longer than three months, of course.
You also receive a notification one month before the expiration.

You do not see any “willful negligence” there.

At Lingq your points expire, even if you are an active member.

“Nothing lasts forever. Even the longest, the most glittering reign must come to an end someday.”
This phrase unexpectedly came across my mind. Margaret Thatcher’s reign began in 1979 and ended in 1990.

What’s the point of expiration? Do we have some kind of federal reserve of points that forces this site to keep the interest rate and inflation rates down or something?

at the very least, the minimum value of point should be less then $20. how bout $5 or $10